cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R5 file numbering system

Sadie1
Enthusiast

Hello - I have been shooting Canon cameras since the mid '80's.    Recently I had to return the EOS R5 due to it being defective.     A replacement order was placed.     I received the replacement order Tuesday at noon on 11/10/20.     I noticed tonight the following:

R5 file numbering started out as _13A0000

R6 file numbering started out as _V8A0000

The replacement R5 file numbering started out as _C6A8000

This leads me to believe that the replacement R5 is not brand new.     Please advise because I am quite concerned that I paid full price for an used camera.

Thank you

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did the card you placed in the camera have images on it from your first R5?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes 

If there were 7999 images then the first image with the new camera would be 8000. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank You.   Can you please explain why a card determines the starting file name?

It doesn't affect the first four characters. They are unique to the camera body. The underscore means you have Adobe RGB colorspace selected. 

The last four characters are the actual file numbers. 

My camera, a 1D X model, allows me to change the first four characters, but when I choose a different file prefix the file numbers stay the same. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank You.  
So, since I used same card from 1st R5 and didn't format the card on the 2nd R5 , the numbering system continued and I can't change the number?     
I used to try to keep track of shutter clicks by the file name - guess that will be a bit different as I will need to remember to subtract 8000. 

If you have only taken a few photos you could 1. format the card now and 2. reset the file numbering.

Then you would be only off by a few.

But remenber, the file number rolls over after 9999.

Look at your camera manual starting around page 740.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ok.   Last night I put a brand new card in and the numbering in the 8000 series continued.    I will check the manual.     Thank You 

Upload your last photo to shutter count.com. It will give you the actual shutter count. There are several web sites that do this, it's free. Just google it. Good luck.

Announcements