cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R!!!

jimiiykingstonj
Apprentice

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7iii

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do not be seduced by the Sony hype.  Nearly all of it is coming from FB users who do not understand their gear's limitations.  For example, the Sony full frame bodies suffer from their image sensors needing constant cleaning for some reason. Meanwhile, the EOS R covers it's image sensor whenever the lens or body cap is removed.

If you have an investment in Canon lenses, then I recommend sticking with Canon.  The RF professional grade lenses are consistently getting high reviews, and they seem to only keep getting better.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The lens line up alone is reason enough to buy Canon.  Canon is a photography company Sony is not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The lens line up alone is reason enough to buy Canon.  Canon is a photography company Sony is not.

Certain lenses could be the entire reason of having a particular body. For the R it's the mighty RF85 duo IMHO. There is a bunch of other unique lenses like the 28-70/2, or the new 70-200 which is short and light, but the 85 DS is a trully unique lens which redners images no other lens on the planet would produce. The 200/2 was one big (literally!) reason to have an EF-mount body.

I can't think of any modern Sony lens that would convince me to buy a Sony body. I do like the 135/1.8 GM, but I feel I can live with a Sigma version for Canon.

@jimiiykingstonj wrote:

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Don't buy an R now. Give its price a chance to fall after the R5 comes out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jimiiykingstonj wrote:

Don't buy an R now. Give its price a chance to fall after the R5 comes out.

If all you are taking are mostly landscape and travel photos, either the EOS R or RP would work very nicely.  All that you would really need to add would be the EF/EF-S mount adapter.  I think the current asking prices, especially for some of the RP packages at major online retailers like B&H, make them very attractive buys.

Will the R5 be a better camera than the R or RP?  The specs suggest that it will be.  The specs also suggest a price tag closer to $4000 than $1000.  For casual landscape and travel photos, I think the RP, with a mount adapter, is an excellent choice. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements