Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Highlighted
New Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-13-2019

Canon EOS R

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7i

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,717
Registered: ‎11-19-2017

Re: Canon EOS R

Why did I think to myself..  Where have I seen this post before?? 

 

My hunch was correct, and so was my memory. 

 

Dup.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 12,285
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Canon EOS R

"Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7i"

 

I can't comment on the cameras because I have no interest in a mirrorless camera.  I can comment on lenses.  If history is a good basis, Canon is the format you want.  Canon EF lens are the best in the world and the most extensive line of any manufactuer.  I see no reason this will not be true in the mirrorless world also.

 

There is no doubt Sony makes a few good lenses but no where near what Canon does. So, lenses alone make the Canon mirrorless the best choice. IMHO, of course.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 12,285
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Canon EOS R

"My hunch was correct, and so was my memory."

 

I am impressed. Now, why?  WHat's the deal?

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎03-21-2015

Re: Canon EOS R

Just noticed today the Canon EOS R price has been drastically reduced to $1499.  That'a lot of camera for a fair price.

 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,717
Registered: ‎11-19-2017

Re: Canon EOS R

Ernie,

Morning and happy holidays.  Have a look at the picture I posted.  Same post, same wording from 3 different users.  Its a repost...

 

 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 12,285
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Canon EOS R

Rick,

Good morning to you too and a very happy holiday season.

 

I saw your post.  I wonder why someone does that?

I guess I am not watching closely enough to notice these multi-post posts! You have good recall.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 429
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: Canon EOS R


@DigiBill wrote:

Just noticed today the Canon EOS R price has been drastically reduced to $1499.  That'a lot of camera for a fair price.

 


The manufacturer is wisely trying to clear out the old stock before releasing the EOS R Mark II, reportedly around May 2020. I am sure Canon hopes that the Mark II does not suffer the same fate as the original R, hence the extremely fast release of the update, a little more than a year after the original. Also, I see that the 5D4 is on sale now for $1999. Clearing out dead tech is also an admirable move on Canon's part. I don't expect any further releases of pro-level DSLRs from Canon. There is no point now that the committment has been made to mirrorless, both on the pro and enthusiast side. 

Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,248
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Canon EOS R


@ebiggs1 wrote:

Rick,

Good morning to you too and a very happy holiday season.

 

I saw your post.  I wonder why someone does that?

I guess I am not watching closely enough to notice these multi-post posts! You have good recall.


I don't think "someone" is the right word.  The forums have been under attack by hackers for at least the past 2-3 years.  They like to post links to who knows where, frequently in the "user's" very first post.  When you get a reply, it is usually nonsense.

 

Now, they are getting a little more clever.  The first post does not contain a link.  But after a few days, suddenly the signature will change, and a link will be embedded in the signature.  The hide the link as regular text, too, instead of letting you see the web address domain name, AKA the dot com name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 429
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: Canon EOS R


@Waddizzle wrote:

I don't think "someone" is the right word.  The forums have been under attack by hackers for at least the past 2-3 years.  They like to post links to who knows where, frequently in the "user's" very first post.  When you get a reply, it is usually nonsense.

 

Now, they are getting a little more clever.  The first post does not contain a link.  But after a few days, suddenly the signature will change, and a link will be embedded in the signature.  The hide the link as regular text, too, instead of letting you see the web address domain name, AKA the dot com name.


Also, the Canon forum software is basic and unsophisticated as these things go, so I expect the hackers to keep doing their thing. 

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement