cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R

DavidOwen
Apprentice

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7i

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7i"

I can't comment on the cameras because I have no interest in a mirrorless camera.  I can comment on lenses.  If history is a good basis, Canon is the format you want.  Canon EF lens are the best in the world and the most extensive line of any manufactuer.  I see no reason this will not be true in the mirrorless world also.

There is no doubt Sony makes a few good lenses but no where near what Canon does. So, lenses alone make the Canon mirrorless the best choice. IMHO, of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

DigiBill
Contributor

Just noticed today the Canon EOS R price has been drastically reduced to $1499.  That'a lot of camera for a fair price.

@DigiBill wrote:

Just noticed today the Canon EOS R price has been drastically reduced to $1499.  That'a lot of camera for a fair price.

The manufacturer is wisely trying to clear out the old stock before releasing the EOS R Mark II, reportedly around May 2020. I am sure Canon hopes that the Mark II does not suffer the same fate as the original R, hence the extremely fast release of the update, a little more than a year after the original. Also, I see that the 5D4 is on sale now for $1999. Clearing out dead tech is also an admirable move on Canon's part. I don't expect any further releases of pro-level DSLRs from Canon. There is no point now that the committment has been made to mirrorless, both on the pro and enthusiast side. 

@John_SD wrote:

@DigiBill wrote:

The manufacturer is wisely trying to clear out the old stock before releasing the EOS R Mark II, reportedly around May 2020. I am sure Canon hopes that the Mark II does not suffer the same fate as the original R, hence the extremely fast release of the update, a little more than a year after the original. Also, I see that the 5D4 is on sale now for $1999. Clearing out dead tech is also an admirable move on Canon's part. I don't expect any further releases of pro-level DSLRs from Canon. There is no point now that the committment has been made to mirrorless, both on the pro and enthusiast side. 

I believe there will be a 5DV

Truth be told I almost bought a 5D4 this week.  B&H is having one heck of a sale.  They really take good care of their regular customers.  I almost did it, but then decided no.  My 6D2 is meeting my needs, and I really like having an articulating screen.  Have until the 18th to decide. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements