cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R

Lincon
Apprentice

Hello everyone,,

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7iii

33 REPLIES 33

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
It should work on the 80D because it has a crop sensor. The problem arises when you use it on a full frame body. You see the full image circle.

As far as hitting the mirror goes, that should not be happening with the 80D. The R has no mirror to hit.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“ It works fine on my 80D unless you try to lock up the mirror- then the shutter will not close. “

You need to press the shutter twice. Once to raise the mirror. And a second time when you are ready to hire the shutter.

nope- it absolutely will not shutter no matter how many times you press it. If you do not lock up the mirror it works fine. The rokinon is fully manual lens and is the only one that will not enable me to use the lock mirror function for astroshots.

sarahbaileywv
Contributor
Not hitting the mirror- just saying if I lock up the mirror for astrophotography as I do with all my other lenses to avoid the vibration of it closing- you cannot take a photo - if I do not lock mirror up- it takes pics just fine (on the 80 D). For the EOS R- there is 0 functionality for the rokinon lens.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
It should fire the shutter on the 2nd shutter press. If it fires the shutter without lockup, but not when do that is a problem.

I use a Rokinon 14mm on 6D using lockup. I also use the shutter timer delay, too. I take photos of the Moon the same way.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
nope- it absolutely will not shutter no matter how many times you press it. If you do not lock up the mirror it works fine. The rokinon is fully manual lens and is the only one that will not enable me to use the lock mirror function for astroshots.

Which camera is this? The Roknion has no contacts unless it has AF confirm. It can not talk to the camera.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Canon M Series Mirrorless cameras have menu setting that you must enable to use a fully manual lens. You must enable “fire shutter without a lens.”

I am sure the R would have a similar setting. Check the 80D menus for a similar setting when you use lockup.

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I love my R! I also have a 6d/II, which I really like too but the R has a lot of advantages over it IMO. One thing I love about the R is the touch and drag focusing, enabling me to move around the focusing point on the LCD screen while I'm looking through the viewfinder. I love that I can use all of my EF as well as my EF-S lenses on the R. I love the EF-to-R adapter with the control ring--it's definitely worth the extra expense. You can customize the function of the control ring, like you would with an RF lens. I have mine set to EV. I love that I can magnify the image I'm shooting through the viewfinder so I can fine-tune focusing manually. I love the FV mode which allows me to use either auto or manual settings for aperture, shutter speed, ISO or EV. And of course, I love the quality of the photos. I haven't had very good luck with the Multi-function Bar because I kept accidentally engaging it so I disengaged it. If you've been a Canon DSLR user, be prepared to have to learn some new things (like how to use the touch-and-drag) and to decide how you want to set up your camera because the R is the most customizeable camera that Canon has made to date.

Iamintexas
Contributor

My opinion is that of an amateur point of view. I am a casual user who has been with Canon since the early 80’s SLRs. I have no photography business skills. Most important DSLR usage has been on trips near and far. I did well on a low-budget wedding.

Let me assume that you have looked at many utoob reviews, and now you want to hear what an owner has to say. Any content you may have researched has to be evaluated with a bit of wisdom. Separate the good points from the bad.

Six months ago, I bought the EOS R with the RF24-105 lens, and I also got the lens adaptor with control ring. The transition from 5D3 to R took less than 2 months of reading, trial and error, and practice, practice, practice. Weight wise, both body and lens seem to feel just about the same weight as the 5D3 with 24-70 F2.8 lens that I previously had. Smaller body and lens, but the weight is about the same.

I did a lot of reading before pulling the trigger. It was said that the learning curve was steep. Well, it was, but again, someone always posts something that eases the pain and makes things clearer. I have not been frequenting my other forums, but it looks to me like the dust has settled on the EOS R. Now the new kid on the block, the RP, is getting all the attention. I am not interested in that new kid as I regard this camera to be my last camera. At least, until I get full use out of it.

Picture quality, I think, is superb. Lens image stabilization has a lot to do with that. As Canon states, with mirrorless, there is no need to calibrate your lenses for sharp images. Something like that. High ISO images have little for me to object about, but keep in mind I am an amateur. I am not looking to sell prints, but to put them on my wall, in some forums, or in social media. I too focus to get the sharpest photos I can get. With either LCD or viewfinder, you get to immediately see what your image will look like. WYSIWYG.

Touch screen focusing took little time to adapt to. No more moving a joystick to get the focus point where I want it. I can see the focus point moving faster to where I want it to be than it did with the joystick. Really works well when doing video. Couldn’t do that with the 5D3. The touch screen can have many other functions, but they can be turned off or adjusted to your liking. Something that sometimes bugs me is when the screen goes blank when anything passes before the sensor beneath the viewfinder. At first, I could not figure out why that was happening. Now I know why. Read the manual.

In my next DSLR, a flip-screen display was what I was wanting. There were so many times I wished the 5D3 had one. It seems much bigger, and a lot more info can be fit into it. You can select what you want to see in it. Needless to say, you gotta think about protecting it. That part might cost a bundle to have it repaired/replaced. I don’t normally buy service plans, but I did on this baby. I have done sensor cleanings, but I will hold off on this mirrorless.

Yes, reaching with the thumb to do this or that was at first difficult, but it has become routine now. I think I have medium hands that fit large work gloves. I am getting better at reaching for the correct area on the lower right corner of the screen. Humans get used to the hardest of tasks with a lot of repetition.

For video, I use a Shure VP83F microphone. The 5D3 sound was horrible, and so far, I have gotten good sound out of the R. Maybe all DSLR sound is the same. With the Shure shotgun mike, I get good sound without all the tinny-ness to it. That was another learning experience. My only complaint is that the RF 24-105’s focusing ring is stiff to turn. Very frustrating to see movement in my video when turning the ring. I am thinking about getting the RF 35mm prime and use my feet to zoom.

The body has a good feel to it. The hand grip area sticks out further than my previous camera. Buttons might be fewer, but they are adequate. Fitting non-RF lenses to it will require either of the two available adaptors. The one with the control ring allows for assigning it a function. From reading reviews, tips and hints, I assigned it the ISO function.

The sensor. When turning off the camera, a pop-up warning recommends putting the front lens cover back on. And to not leave it facing the sun with the lens cover off. Makes sense to me as it is exposed to light sources. I don’t need that service charge billed to me so soon.

Product images show that the viewfinder sticks out further. Sure helps, a bit, to keep my nose oils off the LCD. I am a left eye person. It has a tiny, square-shaped sensor beneath the viewfinder to sense presence of objects that pass before it. In fact, once in a while I find myself using the LCD screen much like I do with the cell phone. Shame on me. I can see and talk to my subjects without looking ominous to them. That is, my face is not covered by the big, black camera when taking photos of people.

As for the single SD card. Knock on wood, since the Rebel DSLR, I have not ever had a problem with SanDisk cards. I have yet to wish for dual-card slots with the EOS R. In first (professional) reviews of the R, this was a big issue. And, I don’t disagree with those opinions as I understand money and reputation are at stake. Maybe there is or will be some device that can be hooked up to the EOS R that immediately transfers RAW only, or RAW and JPG to a waiting folder. The RAW images hold the most value, don’t they?

I hope other people chime in. Please spend about a few weeks or a month learning about it before taking the plunge. Canon has some very good products. I will say that I love my EOS R and that it accompanies me almost every time I drive somewhere. It does what I want it to do, and it does it well. Thankfully, I can still carry it for several hours on walking, hiking and family events without tiring too soon. I recommend getting a better neck strap and the best-preforming card you can get. An extra battery is good too. Good luck.

If you want mirrorless and you want Canon buy it and don’t worry what people say
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements