Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-12-2019

Canon EOS R

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,340
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Canon EOS R

The R is a full-frame sensor. I don't know why you say "so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me".

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-30-2018

Re: Canon EOS R


@kvbarkley wrote:

The R is a full-frame sensor. I don't know why you say "so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me".


I think the OP was saying "no video" and, therefore, not concerned with the 4K video crop factor which seems to have upset a lot of video enthusiasts.  I really don't shoot video myself, so don't have a dog in that fight, but I'm just going on several articles I've read on the matter.  

Reputable Contributor
Posts: 901
Registered: ‎11-19-2017

Re: Canon EOS R

[ Edited ]

@appy7 wrote:

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R


Nothing in your post about "the camera" you want to replace.

 

How many EF lenses do you own?  How invested are you?

 

The R is first gen and has all of the pain points that comes with a new "model".  Do a side by side comparison.  A 5D4 will smoke it all day long.  

 

Even at $1900 (current price at B&H)  for what you get and having to invest in an adapter is not a winning proposition.

 

Battery life

Lower FPS with full AF

4K video crop factor (not serious) but also not present on 5D4

RP lens investment

 

In my opinion neither body (R or RP) is worth consideration.  I'd wait a bit for Gen3.  This is one time when something truly better is just around the corner.  I think Gen3 will be worth the wait.  Just my opinion, you are welcome to buy one up if it serves your needs.

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.02)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 2.00) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro1903 ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra
New Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-15-2019

Re: Canon EOS R

I took the EOS R last week and was never disappointed.I still have the 6D and 5D Mkiii . Have few Canon L lenses, plus 2 Sigma Lenses.My first worry was the Sigma Art lenses performance (35 and 50), but it works better, focusing is faster.The 85mm f1.2 L ii which is very difficult to focus is snappy on EOS R, big difference on speed and focus accuracy.Spent last weekend testing my other lenses and i could honestly say that tehy all perform better.
I decided to go on this route because i already invest on Canon glass.It took me sometime to get use with the camera operation but if your already in to Canon ecosystem, learning will not take sometime.I'm planning to take this on my next vacation, i know it will be quite a challenge since i will be carrying a heavier gear again.
By the end of the day Camera gears grows on you in spite their limitations, it's a tools. Waiting for the "best" camera will never end...if you like Photography, master it with any gears you have.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,982
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Canon EOS R


@noeldg wrote:
I took the EOS R last week and was never disappointed.I still have the 6D and 5D Mkiii . Have few Canon L lenses, plus 2 Sigma Lenses.My first worry was the Sigma Art lenses performance (35 and 50), but it works better, focusing is faster.The 85mm f1.2 L ii which is very difficult to focus is snappy on EOS R, big difference on speed and focus accuracy.Spent last weekend testing my other lenses and i could honestly say that tehy all perform better.
I decided to go on this route because i already invest on Canon glass.It took me sometime to get use with the camera operation but if your already in to Canon ecosystem, learning will not take sometime.I'm planning to take this on my next vacation, i know it will be quite a challenge since i will be carrying a heavier gear again.
By the end of the day Camera gears grows on you in spite their limitations, it's a tools. Waiting for the "best" camera will never end...if you like Photography, master it with any gears you have.

Before I retired three years ago, I was a semi-professional event and landscape photographer. When I bought new equipment, it was almost always because my current equipment didn't quite cut it. If I were in that situation today, I wouldn't go mirrorless. But if I live long enough to buy another camera, it almost certainly will be a mirrorless. It's clearly the wave of the future, and I confidently expect the R series to advance even faster than the 5D series did.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Valued Contributor
Posts: 363
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: Canon EOS R


@RobertTheFat wrote:

But if I live long enough to buy another camera, it almost certainly will be a mirrorless. It's clearly the wave of the future, and I confidently expect the R series to advance even faster than the 5D series did.


I think it's important to always have something to look forward to in life, regardless of one's age. A case in point is the old fellow across the street from me. He just sold his vintage Skylark (at his son's insistence) and bought himself a new Mustang -- smaller, easier for him to handle, less costly maintenance, etc. A former engineer at JPL in Pasadena during the Apollo days, he just turned 90, and though he limits himself to short trips around town, he is a lifeliong automotive enthusiast and enjoys his new car immensely. Some would say he's too old, but he has a clean driving record and hasn't been in a colliision since the mid 1970s.  

 

Why not start researching mirrorless cameras now in earnest? You may find something you like better than the Canon R. That said, I realize that we are in a transitional period, with a number of gen 1.0 mirrorless cameras out there. Several suffer from the gen 1 limitations and issues, but as you say, mirrorless is the future. I say go for it. I expect gen 2 models to be released in the relatively near future, and that may be the time to go for it. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎09-24-2016

Re: Canon EOS R

You cannot go wrong with either modern camera, assuming you have good lenses for it. The Sony takes the EF lenses via a few adapters, but the AF experience is not even remotely close to what you can get adapting them on the EOS R. I personally like the EOS R better than the Canon DSLRs (I had the 5DsR and 1DX II in the past) for one simple reason: AF superiority. No need to calibrate your lenses anymore (AFMA), and no matter what 3rd party EF lens you put on it - they just work flawlessly. The EVF has its pros (WYSIWYG) and cons (delay). The delay is not a huge deal for what I shoot. I used to shoot the A7r2 for almost 2 years, and while I loved the sensor I didn't like anything else in it.

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement