Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon EOS R!!

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7iii

VIP

Re: Canon EOS R!!

If you want mirrorless and you want Canon buy it and don’t worry what people say
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
New Contributor

Hi

I have the R and for landscapes etc it is brilliant.

Go for it6A8A0689-Edit.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gomeswichal:

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7iii

This is not just an opinion, but a fact. Nobody ever looked at a well made photo from an EOS R/RP and said “too bad you didn’t use a Sony xxxx.” Or vice versa. I have an EOS RP and it’s a great professional-level camera for many uses. Never mind that Canon positions it as a consumer camera; I’m making professional-grade nature photos with it, using mostly EF lenses.

OTOH, if you’re willing to swallow the marketing nonsense about the need for 61MP, the Sony a7R IV, available in September, looks good on paper and will use Canon EF lenses, but not RF.

Atalopedes campestris, Sachem Skipper, Female. EOS RP, EF 100mm macro lens.

54537895-69A0-43C4-BF8F-95884D0CBE18.jpeg

Highlighted
VIP

"Never mind that Canon positions it as a consumer camera; I’m making professional-grade nature photos with it, using mostly EF lenses."

You may have misunderstood what a "professional grade" camera is.  I have done "professional grade" photos with a Rebel at least they sold. If that is your definition of a "professional grade" photo. I have also done "professional grade" photos with a Powershot as well which I also sold.

A "professional grade" camera is more its build quality since all modern DSLRs are capable of outstanding work. Canon builds the 1 series for instance to withstand the rigors of day in day out constant use. Not to mention rough abusive use. Actually some of the newest models have better or at leat as good of specs to the latest 1DX Mk II but will they answer the call no matter what?

Bottom line there is only two "professional grade" cameras made today. The Nikon D5 and the Canon 1DX Mk II not considering the earlier modes of each. However lots of cameras make "professional grade" photos.

BTW, your shot is very nice and I for one consider it a "professional grade" shot. Good work!

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.