cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R with manual only lenses

Cunha
Rising Star

Hello,

for years I´ve been using Canon and Zeiss manual only lenses with several 5D bodies (currently 5DIV).
It is sometimes hard to focus.
At last we will have this new Canon EOS R with Focus Peaking and Focus Assist like the Cinema cameras.
Anyone looking forward to use these features for stills with manual lenses or am I the only dinossaur using manual only glass?
Anyone using these Peaking with another brand with good results?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Regards.

20 REPLIES 20

I know both very well and they´re two different features. I´ve used both with Cinema cameras. But of course for video. Now I want that for stills work.

@Cunha wrote:
I know both very well and they´re two different features. I´ve used both with Cinema cameras. But of course for video. Now I want that for stills work.

Most Canon DSLRs released in recent have had Touch AF Assist.  Seeing how the EOS-M has focus peaking, I would not be surprised if the EOS R did not have it,  I would wait until the destruction manual is released, and see what that says.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Maybe I am wrong in one thing ,-) Names.
In Cinema cameras the feature is; as long as I remenber; "Focus Assist" and in EOS R system is/will be "Focus Guide"? But the function is the same with a green square and free arrows.
It will be a huge help for the MP-E 65mm, the Tilt & Shift lenses and the Zeiss ZE lenses.
Peaking is another feature and present on other brands too.

@Cunha wrote:
Maybe I am wrong in one thing ,-) Names.
In Cinema cameras the feature is; as long as I remenber; "Focus Assist" and in EOS R system is/will be "Focus Guide"? But the function is the same with a green square and free arrows.
It will be a huge help for the MP-E 65mm, the Tilt & Shift lenses and the Zeiss ZE lenses.
Peaking is another feature and present on other brands too.

There you go again.  Those are manual focus lenses that lack AF, so the Touch AF Assist feature will not work with them.  You are conflating Focus Peaking and Focus Assist.  Peaking is peaking, but Focus Assist is AF Tracking of a moving subject, or face.

Maybe it is "Focus Guide" ,-)Captura de ecrã 2018-09-16, às 19.25.40.png

maciej
Apprentice

I guess I will show my ignorance.  I use my M5 with manual lenses in shoot without lens mode - not problem - great results.

How do I set my EOS R to shoot without lens so I can use manual lenses?

I don´t own an EOS R yet but I think you just use a manual only lenses for the EF mount via the adapter. No need further changes I guess.

I will use my Zeiss ZE lenses and the Canon MP-E macro just like I use them with the 5DIV but; with the help of Focus Guide and maybe Peaking. 🙂

Focus Guide work with the lenses focus ring and also with the MP-E lenses that focus with a rail (I move the camera with the lenses to focus, because there´s no focus ring; it is a unique lenses).

So Focus Guide is indeed a very welcome feature IMHO.

Hope it helps.  

Please, let us know what manual only lenses are you using with the EOS R and results. Thanks.

On my R camera I found the setting for "Release Shutter without Lens" under the Menu, Camera Symbol, item 5.  Checked and it worked fine.

I use a manual lens on my M5 but I have not found a manual lens that appeals to me for the R yet.  Yes the focus peaking is a wonderful thing.

Thanks a lot for your feedback ,-) Lets us know more about your new manual lenses with the R.

@maciej wrote:

I guess I will show my ignorance.  I use my M5 with manual lenses in shoot without lens mode - not problem - great results.

How do I set my EOS R to shoot without lens so I can use manual lenses?

All of EOS M Series bodies have focus peaking, which is great for manual focusing.  However, many manual lenses do not communicate with the camera body.  All of the EOS M bodies seem to have a menu setting which disables the shutter from being released when the camera cannot detect a lens has been attached.  

I have little doubt that the EOS R has a similar setting in its’ menus, as well as focus peaking on the LCD display.

Announcements