cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R with manual only lenses

Cunha
Rising Star

Hello,

for years I´ve been using Canon and Zeiss manual only lenses with several 5D bodies (currently 5DIV).
It is sometimes hard to focus.
At last we will have this new Canon EOS R with Focus Peaking and Focus Assist like the Cinema cameras.
Anyone looking forward to use these features for stills with manual lenses or am I the only dinossaur using manual only glass?
Anyone using these Peaking with another brand with good results?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Regards.

20 REPLIES 20

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Ken Rockwell reports that the AF is much better on the R, it focuses his 50mm/1.2 better than his DSLRs.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Ken Rockwell reports that the AF is much better on the R, it focuses his 50mm/1.2 better than his DSLRs.

I can only imagine.  My M3 is razor sharp with the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM.  

0920430038192018_08_201140150-2.jpg

The M3 has a 24 MP APS-C sensor.  Supposedly it is the same as the one found in the 80D, AFAIK.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Cunha wrote:

Hello,

for years I´ve been using Canon and Zeiss manual only lenses with several 5D bodies (currently 5DIV).
It is sometimes hard to focus.
At last we will have this new Canon EOS R with Focus Peaking and Focus Assist like the Cinema cameras.
Anyone looking forward to use these features for stills with manual lenses or am I the only dinossaur using manual only glass?
Anyone using these Peaking with another brand with good results?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Regards.

I am not surprised to learn the EOS R has Focus Peaking.  The M Series of mirrorless bodies have always had it.

I am sorry for my ignorance but will Focus Peaking and Focus Assist work for stills or just for video recording?

@Cunha wrote:
I am sorry for my ignorance but will Focus Peaking and Focus Assist work for stills or just for video recording?

I cannot speak for the EOS R.  

But, I use focus peaking all the time on my M3 with a Rokinon 14mm.  I can take hundreds of still shots with it. In Stills and Movie Mode, the M3 has Touch Focus Assist with my EF-M 22 f/2 STM lens.  I have not tried Movie Mode with the Rokinon 14mm.

Thank you Waddizzle.

The "Touch Focus Assist" (your M3 camera) is the same as the Cinema cameras Focus Assist (ex: C300 II)?

@Cunha wrote:

Thank you Waddizzle.

The "Touch Focus Assist" (your M3 camera) is the same as the Cinema cameras Focus Assist (ex: C300 II)?

Similar, but not exactly the same as Cinema bodies.  More like a dumbed down version.  Cinema bodies have more complex focusing features.

Thanks. I know the the C300 II Focus Assist. I hope to find the same at the EOS R .-), but for stills.

@Cunha wrote:
Thanks. I know the the C300 II Focus Assist. I hope to find the same at the EOS R .-), but for stills.

There is a MAJOR difference between Focus Assist and Focus Peaking.  You seem to be conflating the two tools.

Announcements