Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon EOS R Screen Fault

I have a 2 month old EOS R. I went out this morning to take some pics, got back home and copied them to my PC. After playing in lightroom for an hour I unplugged the camera and when I tried to turn it on nothing happened. Both the rear screen and the EVF are completely black. I can see the settings changing on the top LCD screen.

When I switch to video the LCD and EVF work as expected for the most part. I can see the live view, change settings and record footage but when I press the preview or menu button the screens go completely black again.

I want to try a factory reset but as far as I can tell this is only possible through the menu, which I can't access. Has anyone experienced anything like this or do you know of a way of resetting without using the menu? As far as I can tell I don't have access to the cmos battery.

Here is a video of the problem: https://youtu.be/J-PCdZO53Vo

Honored Contributor

Re: Canon EOS R Screen Fault

I don't know anything about the EOS R, but I did see a thread on DPReview where a 6D had a rear LCD display issue and the user was able to access the menu by connecting a monitor to the HDMI Out connector.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried removing the battery for a minute and then putting it back in?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I've just tried using a HDMI cable and whilst I was able to view the menu and reset the camera, the problem persists
I left the battery and SD card out over night with the power switch set to 'On' but as soon as it was reinserted I had the same issuez