cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R Is your IS running continuously with all IS lenses?

KirkD
Contributor

I had previously posted this problem with my Canon 100-400L Mk II, but this morning I found out that all my Canon IS lenses have this problem on the new EOS R. None of these lenses had this problem with my old Canon 6D. 

Problem: The IS in all my lenses turns on immediately, as soon as I turn my EOS R on, and runs continuously until I turn the camera off. The IS should only turn on when the shutter is depressed half way, and when the shutter button is released, it should turn off after a few seconds.

Question: For those of you with the new EOS R and a Canon IS lens, are you experiencing the same problem. (you may have to listen to your lens in a quiet room).

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Answer:  Contact Canon Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I will contact Canon on Monday, but it would be nice to know if anyone else has this problem with their EOS R.

CarlG
Enthusiast

Hi!

Go to AF Menu and turn Continuous AF to Disable. That should fix your problem.

@KirkD wrote:

I had previously posted this problem with my Canon 100-400L Mk II, but this morning I found out that all my Canon IS lenses have this problem on the new EOS R. None of these lenses had this problem with my old Canon 6D. 

Problem: The IS in all my lenses turns on immediately, as soon as I turn my EOS R on, and runs continuously until I turn the camera off. The IS should only turn on when the shutter is depressed half way, and when the shutter button is released, it should turn off after a few seconds.

Question: For those of you with the new EOS R and a Canon IS lens, are you experiencing the same problem. (you may have to listen to your lens in a quiet room).

Already tried that and it does not stop the continuous IS. It stops continuous focus, but not continuous IS. The advanced Canon EOS R manual I mention above states that this is the way it is designed. IS runs continuously.

It may be a side effect of the EVF system used but if so that needs to be addressed with a body that already has a big power appetite because of the EVF.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@KirkD wrote:
Already tried that and it does not stop the continuous IS. It stops continuous focus, but not continuous IS. The advanced Canon EOS R manual I mention above states that this is the way it is designed. IS runs continuously.

Gotcha. I've never noticed my IS continuosly running. In fact I just checked one of my IS Lens 24-105 IS USM L. I can't hear it.

Can You direct me to the portion in the Advanced Manual that states that? I did find the camera has in Body Stabilization for Movie mode. Didn't know that.

it is on page 143 of the "Advanced" manual. That is not the manual that comes with your camera ... you have to download the advanced one.

@KirkD wrote:

it is on page 143 of the "Advanced" manual. That is not the manual that comes with your camera ... you have to download the advanced one.

I got it. But I imagine this can be changes with a firmware update if Canon is so inclined. I don't use my IS that often so I'm not that concerned. I have (5) batteries that I keep charged. My 80D uses the same batteries.

Announcements