cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS M50 Bluetooth

bmwkurt
Contributor

I can pair my M50 with my phone and the connection is fine until I turn off the camera.  The next time I want to use the camera wit bluetooth (mainly for GPS and Time)  I have to "forget" the camera on the phone and redo the pairing.  This is very frustrating for me.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.  Canon EOS M50 and Android 11.0

14 REPLIES 14

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

Based on what you describe it sounds like the issue has to do with the phone not wanting to reinitiate that connection. Sometimes phones will disregard WiFi connections that have a weak signal or no internet connectivity and since the Bluetooth is only the primary connection method which then switches to an established WiFi connection it may just be that the phone doesn't think this connection is important. There might be different ways to tell your phone this, but setting the camera's WiFi network as one of your "priority" networks on your phone should help indicate that you do want to connect even though the WiFi connection has no internet access.

I will start looking at this as a problem with the phone and not the camera and get back to the forum if I discover anything.  At present when I turn on the phone the bluetooth icon is "greyed" out and the "GPS" icon is either flashing or also greyed out.  I cannot find out in the manual what that means.  I'm diving in deeper!

Nope!  Nothing has changed.  Since the last Canon Connect Update I can connect to my phone's bluetooth for geotagging, but when I turn the camera off and back on all connection data is lost and I must repair the phone each time.  All my other cameras have no issue (Nikon, Fuji)  Very frustrating after two days wasted on this issue.

@bmwkurt wrote:

Nope!  Nothing has changed.  Since the last Canon Connect Update I can connect to my phone's bluetooth for geotagging, but when I turn the camera off and back on all connection data is lost and I must repair the phone each time.  All my other cameras have no issue (Nikon, Fuji)  Very frustrating after two days wasted on this issue.

Doesn't your phone save a list of devices that it has previously established a connection?  If so, how many devices are in your current list.  You may have hit upon the maximum number of saved configurations.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I will certainly check that out and let you know. I know it is probably something I have done wrong, I just can figure out what it is. I have followed the instruction in the manual step by step several times. All my other cameras had no problem connecting to the phone for geotagging. On the Canon the bluetooth symbol on the display is not bright but "greyed" out. If I can solve that I'm sure the problem will be solved. Thanks for the reply!

@bmwkurt wrote:
I will certainly check that out and let you know. I know it is probably something I have done wrong, I just can figure out what it is. I have followed the instruction in the manual step by step several times. All my other cameras had no problem connecting to the phone for geotagging. On the Canon the bluetooth symbol on the display is not bright but "greyed" out. If I can solve that I'm sure the problem will be solved. Thanks for the reply!

Do you have a copy of the full User Manaul?  Have you visited the M50 Product page at Canon Support.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... 

There is a ink to Wireless Help on the M50 Producct Page.

Yes to both questions. I will be working on it again today.

I seem to have no trouble connecting my M50 to a phone and wi-fi.  As soon as I turn the camera off I lose and break the connection I cannot reconnect.  The camera shows the bluetooth snd the GPS symbol with a grey background instead of white (as it does when connected). After a few minuted the GPS sybmol becomes white and begins to flash on and off.  I have tried a couple of different phones so I believe it to be the camera.  Can anyone tell me what this means?  I find nothing in the manual and will continue to search online.  I have been tryying to connect this camera for almost a week!  Thanks in advance.

@bmwkurt wrote:

I seem to have no trouble connecting my M50 to a phone and wi-fi.  As soon as I turn the camera off I lose and break the connection I cannot reconnect.  The camera shows the bluetooth snd the GPS symbol with a grey background instead of white (as it does when connected). After a few minuted the GPS sybmol becomes white and begins to flash on and off.  I have tried a couple of different phones so I believe it to be the camera.  Can anyone tell me what this means?  I find nothing in the manual and will continue to search online.  I have been tryying to connect this camera for almost a week!  Thanks in advance.

GPS does not connect to satellites instantaneously.  It takes a couple of minutes.  This is done on purpose.  They changed the way GPS systems work a decade ago because their signals were being to used to control guided missiles.

Announcements