cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS M5 (or upcoming M6) with L-series lens??

nickfoxer
Apprentice

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum so thanks in advance. My question pertains to video/vlogging only, (no stills).

I'm currently using a 70D for vlogging, but it's fairly heavy and also doesn't have any in-camera stabilization. 

I'm wondering, if I got an EOS M5 (or M6 in april) which have in-camera 5-axis stabilization, could I also just get an EF-M to EF mount adapter, throw a nice fast L-series lens on there, and get a super crisp (but ALSO stabilized) image? Best of both worlds so to speak?

Thanks!

-Nick

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@nickfoxer wrote:

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum so thanks in advance. My question pertains to video/vlogging only, (no stills).

I'm currently using a 70D for vlogging, but it's fairly heavy and also doesn't have any in-camera stabilization. 

I'm wondering, if I got an EOS M5 (or M6 in april) which have in-camera 5-axis stabilization, could I also just get an EF-M to EF mount adapter, throw a nice fast L-series lens on there, and get a super crisp (but ALSO stabilized) image? Best of both worlds so to speak?

Thanks!

-Nick

Sure, you could try that.  Although, I would strongly advise against it because the battery is just simply too small.  Canon even beefed up the battery, too.  Instead of 150-200 shots with an EF-M series lens, you should now get 250-300 shots.  

Bear in mind that those numbers [told hold me to them too closely, please] are with EF-M lenses, with much smaller focusing motors and much lighter lens elements than standard EF/EF-S lenses, much less "L" Series lenses.

I have an M3 with the adapter.  The only EF lenses that I have used on it are the two pancake lenses by Canon.  Most of the time I have a manual focus Rokinon 14mm lens mounted to it.  The M Series is great for manually focused shots.  Due to the small size of the batteries, you would be limited to what you could do.  

I have never shot video with it.  It is great for manual focusing scenarios, like macro shots.  It is also great for using a wide angle lens focused to the hyperfocal distance, and shooting landscapes and cityscapes.  I also put a pancake lens on it, and hand it to someone who wants to tag along when i go shooting. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hey thanks Wadizzle!

So are you saying that the M5 isn't good for shooting video in general? Because of the limited battery life? Or that attaching an EF lens will drain the battery extra quickly? 

@nickfoxer wrote:

Hey thanks Wadizzle!

So are you saying that the M5 isn't good for shooting video in general? Because of the limited battery life? Or that attaching an EF lens will drain the battery extra quickly? 

I can only speak for the M3, because that is the camera that I own.  I have never tried to shoot video with it because of the small battery.  The battery in M3 has just enough capacity for an amateur to go out and shoot pictures for an hour, or so, using the EF-M lenses, which are quite small, BTW.

I have used the "nifty fifty" with the M3, and it was half drained after some 50 shots, or so.  An L"L would only be far worse.  If you plan to use EF-M lenses, then the M Series cameras are probably pretty good shooting short video clips.  Just don't expect to put in a full day shoot with one.

Right now, I think the best buy in the Canon consumer lineup is the 80D, which excels at shooting video.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Gotcha, thanks so much for your help Wadizzle! I knew I'd get a great answer on here 🙂

Peter
Authority
Authority
I use my M5 also as a dash cam. 1 hour without problem. If I remember correct I used it video recording 2 hours. Screen in night mode an no AF.

5 axis only with digital IS and optical IS.

Awesome, thanks Peter! 🙂

Announcements