cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Image Transfer Utility - how can I change folder name

sjwestra
Contributor

Hello,

I use the Canon EOS Image Transfer Utility to import photo's from my Canon EOS M3 to my PC.

Two questions:

• The transfer utility creates a folder like 2016/10/21. Can this be changed to 2016-10-21? That's the naming convention for my other import tools for the iPhone etc....
  • Is there a way to remove the photo's automatically from the camera during transfer in order to avoid duplicates during the next import?

Thanks in advance,

S.J. Westra

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You can do whatever you want, if you use Lightroom.  Not so much with EOS Utility but maybe there is.  I don't know.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks!

Does Lightroom also support transfer over wifi?

Thanks,

S.J. Westra

No, not without extra gadgets. You can do this with an EyeFi card or really any system that lets you automatically send photos wirelessly to your computer.

LR also has tethered, realtime, shooting but it requires a cable.  It is almost done instantly.  Canon's software is the basic program to get you going with your camera.  There are better commercial programs like LR that do more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes you can!!!

original (2).jpg

Just click on the Destination Folder... button to change the formatting of the folder name

Hi TTMartin,

I think you showed an image of the EOS Utility. For that one a USB cable is required if you have an EOS M3.

I meant the Image Transfer Utility that can be used for wireless transfer in combination with the EOS M3, that's a different tool.

Both tools run on my PC...

In short: I would like to transfer the images wireless and I would like to define the folder name convention (- instead of /).

Best regards,

SJW

@sjwestra wrote:

Hi TTMartin,

I think you showed an image of the EOS Utility. For that one a USB cable is required if you have an EOS M3.

I meant the Image Transfer Utility that can be used for wireless transfer in combination with the EOS M3, that's a different tool.

Both tools run on my PC...

In short: I would like to transfer the images wireless and I would like to define the folder name convention (- instead of /).

Best regards,

SJW

Nope you can use EOS Utilities over WiFi too.

Instructions below are for the 70D, your EOS M3 will be similar.

Sending images to a computer (Wi-Fi function) (EOS 70D)

Hi,

I was able to use the Image Transfer Utility to upload over wifi.

However, I was not able to change the folder naming convention.

Leave it as it is for now.

Best regards,

SJW

@sjwestra wrote:

Thanks!

Does Lightroom also support transfer over wifi?

Thanks,

S.J. Westra

Yes, since your EOS M3 has built in WiFi yes you can transfer files to Lightroom via WiFi, but, you end up going through EOS Utilities to do it. So there is no advantage to using Lightroom for that function. But, if you want to use Lightroom, yes that is a capability. Note: Transferring RAW files via WiFi can be slow!!!

Announcements