Canon Community Canon Community

VIP

Re: Canon EOS 90D, M6 Mark II

"...but I think the M6 is the camera that will bring new Canon customers into the fold."

I actually hope you are right. The more the better!  But in the several years I did DSLR 101 classes I never saw one M series camera.  Most of the folks were young Moms with a Rebel and a kit lens.

One thing is for certain young is where it's at and the camera must work like a cell phone.  That is what they are comfortable with and know. Canon should have realized that many years ago but didn't.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Honored Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...but I think the M6 is the camera that will bring new Canon customers into the fold."

I actually hope you are right. The more the better!  But in the several years I did DSLR 101 classes I never saw one M series camera.  Most of the folks were young Moms with a Rebel and a kit lens.

One thing is for certain young is where it's at and the camera must work like a cell phone.  That is what they are comfortable with and know. Canon should have realized that many years ago but didn't.

I guess I would expect a DSLR 101 class to attract folks with a DSLR. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Reputable Contributor

I suspect I will be forced into mirrorless when Canon decides to cease development in their flagship DSLR line but what is available in mirrorless currently doesn't suit my needs and preferences while my only wishes for the 1DX family bodies would be even better low light performance.   With the currently available offerings, they are the right tools for me.

I am often shooting with 300 and 400 F2.8 primes, often handheld for mobility, so a few ounces lighter in the camera body are in the noise and the weight and size of the current 1 series DSLR bodies provides nice balance for that glass.  Battery life with the 1DX and 1DX2 is exceptional and even with a couple of years of heavy use on my current sets of batteries I can easily shoot several soccer matches ( a lot of frames in high speed mode) with these two bodies and still have have plenty of battery capacity left with no worries.  I keep spare batteries in the Pelican case just to be prepared but I have never changed a battery at an event when I started with the battery at 75% or greater.  

With an optical viewfinder there is no problem with lag.  I couldn't imagine buying a camera without an eye level viewfinder and I detest shooting video with the 1DX series bodies unless it is a situation where I can use a tripod and if there is any possibility I will be shooting video at an event the XF400 camcorder is with me.

For a compact camera or a lower cost camera, mirrorless is clearly a winner but that is a rapidly shrinking market.  If a pro level mirrorless is introduced while I am still actively shooting sports AND it offers enough advantages over a DSLR without serious disadvantages then I will make the switch.  But I have no desire to go mirrorless just because "this shiny new object doesn't have a mirror.".  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M2, 1DX, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
VIP

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:
I have [no?] idea how well the M6 might do. Canon has cast a shadow of uncertainty over their consumer camera lines with the introduction of two incompatible mirrorless lens mounts.

Without any type of announcement or press release describing where they are going, or hope to go, then why buy either one?

That puzzled me too. I had pretty much concluded that the M series was a dead end.

I do have to suppose, though, that they're serious about the R series and that the R mount will survive for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, Bob,  Yes, I dropped a word there.

I think Canon is very serious about the R mount, which makes the uncertainty with the EF-M that much worse.  I bought an M3 early on because of the focus peaking and the 24 MP resolution.  It is a great walk around, pocket camera with the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

"I guess I would expect a DSLR 101 class to attract folks with a DSLR."

And that "guess" would make you wrong!  Smiley Happy  I had folks with Powershots and other P&S.  Evem film cameras!

VIP

"If a pro level mirrorless is introduced while I am still actively shooting ..."

This is the issue. People like you and me that use 1 series are not attracted to any of the mirrorless cameras available today as there are no pro level models made. I would guess they are still a long ways off.

Esteemed Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I guess I would expect a DSLR 101 class to attract folks with a DSLR."

And that "guess" would make you wrong!  Smiley Happy  I had folks with Powershots and other P&S.  Evem film cameras!

I've never met Ernie, but it's pretty clear that he's a character from whom almost anyone with an interest in photography would enjoy taking a class. (If the student also played the trombone, so much the better.)  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Frequent Contributor

EVF just don't work for the way I currently use my cameras unless there is a way to correct for my vision.

Valued Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"If a pro level mirrorless is introduced while I am still actively shooting ..."

This is the issue. People like you and me that use 1 series are not attracted to any of the mirrorless cameras available today as there are no pro level models made. I would guess they are still a long ways off.

Not to hijack my own thread, but speaking of pro-level cameras, I just read on a rumors site that Nik*on is set to announce its new flagship, the D6, around September 4. Interesting times. 

VIP

"... Nik*on is set to announce its new flagship, the D6, ..."

Smiley Happy Yes, and I love'em.  I have owned several, D2x, D3, D3x but I always come back to my Canons. Canon 1 series just feel better. They feel better made, they feel better in my hand.  Each brand has its strong points and weaknesses. I finally unloaded all my Nikon gear, this year, and have no intention of getting any more. To me and I know to others it (Nikon) is fantastic gear but it's just not a Canon 1 series.

.........am I hi-jacking, too?