Canon Community Canon Community

Valued Contributor

Canon EOS 90D, M6 Mark II

Both new cameras were officially announced today by Canon. I think the M6 Mark II will be the sleeper hit of the season, despite not having a built-in EVF. 

And yes, I am well aware these cameras aren't made specifically for pros. I still think they will do well in the marketplace, especially the M6. At least I hope so. 

VIP

Re: Canon EOS 90D, M6 Mark II

I have idea how well the M6 might do. Canon has cast a shadow of uncertainty over their consumer camera lines with the introduction of two incompatible mirrorless lens mounts.

Without any type of announcement or press release describing where they are going, or hope to go, then why buy either one?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Reputable Contributor

The 90D would be my pick, but for some the M62 will fit the bill from a compact size standpoint. 

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.02)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 2.00) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro1903 ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra
VIP

90D all the way.  The M series is dead or at least dying.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Esteemed Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:
I have [no?] idea how well the M6 might do. Canon has cast a shadow of uncertainty over their consumer camera lines with the introduction of two incompatible mirrorless lens mounts.

Without any type of announcement or press release describing where they are going, or hope to go, then why buy either one?

That puzzled me too. I had pretty much concluded that the M series was a dead end.

I do have to suppose, though, that they're serious about the R series and that the R mount will survive for the foreseeable future.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP

"... then why buy either one?"

The reason for buying the 90D is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.  This should be a killer outfit

Valued Contributor

@shadowsports wrote:

The 90D would be my pick, but for some the M62 will fit the bill from a compact size standpoint. 

The 90D kits are what we will likely find at Costco, and they should do well, same as the 80D kits. But I still think the M62 will outsell it overall. This was obviously made for younger photographers who embrace new tech, are interested in the future (mirrorless) and are used to taking photos with their phones. The lack of an onboard EVF will not deter them, though old fellows will remain skittish for some time. This camera, I believe, will find favor among younger photographers in general. 

Valued Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:
I have idea how well the M6 might do. Canon has cast a shadow of uncertainty over their consumer camera lines with the introduction of two incompatible mirrorless lens mounts.

You make some reasonable points, but I think the M6 is the camera that will bring new Canon customers into the fold. As I mentioned in another post, I believe it will find favor among younger photographers who are intersted in the hobby, gravitate to new tech and know enough to realize that mirrorless is the future. 

Esteemed Contributor

@John_SD wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

The 90D kits are what we will likely find at Costco, and they should do well, same as the 80D kits. But I still think the M62 will outsell it overall. This was obviously made for younger photographers who embrace new tech, are interested in the future (mirrorless) and are used to taking photos with their phones. The lack of an onboard EVF will not deter them, though old fellows will remain skittish for some time. This camera, I believe, will find favor among younger photographers in general. 

Well, I'm one old fellow who will remain skittish (of a camera without an eye-level viewfinder) until the sun stops shining in the daytime. There are too many times when the LCD is just not bright enough to use.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP

Canon just came out with a lens that they should have had at the very beginning of the M series, the EF-M 32mm
f/1.4 STM.  It took 7 years to come out with a fast prime. That does not show a burning interest in keeping this line going.

Oh, yes, don't forget adapters. You can adapter anything you just need the right adapt-o-plate!  Smiley Sad