cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 90D, M6 Mark II

John_SD
Whiz

Both new cameras were officially announced today by Canon. I think the M6 Mark II will be the sleeper hit of the season, despite not having a built-in EVF. 

And yes, I am well aware these cameras aren't made specifically for pros. I still think they will do well in the marketplace, especially the M6. At least I hope so. 

35 REPLIES 35

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I have idea how well the M6 might do. Canon has cast a shadow of uncertainty over their consumer camera lines with the introduction of two incompatible mirrorless lens mounts.

Without any type of announcement or press release describing where they are going, or hope to go, then why buy either one?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
I have [no?] idea how well the M6 might do. Canon has cast a shadow of uncertainty over their consumer camera lines with the introduction of two incompatible mirrorless lens mounts.

Without any type of announcement or press release describing where they are going, or hope to go, then why buy either one?

That puzzled me too. I had pretty much concluded that the M series was a dead end.

I do have to suppose, though, that they're serious about the R series and that the R mount will survive for the foreseeable future.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... then why buy either one?"

The reason for buying the 90D is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.  This should be a killer outfit

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:
I have [no?] idea how well the M6 might do. Canon has cast a shadow of uncertainty over their consumer camera lines with the introduction of two incompatible mirrorless lens mounts.

That puzzled me too. I had pretty much concluded that the M series was a dead end.

I do have to suppose, though, that they're serious about the R series and that the R mount will survive for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, Bob,  Yes, I dropped a word there.

I think Canon is very serious about the R mount, which makes the uncertainty with the EF-M that much worse.  I bought an M3 early on because of the focus peaking and the 24 MP resolution.  It is a great walk around, pocket camera with the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
I have idea how well the M6 might do. Canon has cast a shadow of uncertainty over their consumer camera lines with the introduction of two incompatible mirrorless lens mounts.

You make some reasonable points, but I think the M6 is the camera that will bring new Canon customers into the fold. As I mentioned in another post, I believe it will find favor among younger photographers who are intersted in the hobby, gravitate to new tech and know enough to realize that mirrorless is the future. 

"...but I think the M6 is the camera that will bring new Canon customers into the fold."

I actually hope you are right. The more the better!  But in the several years I did DSLR 101 classes I never saw one M series camera.  Most of the folks were young Moms with a Rebel and a kit lens.

One thing is for certain young is where it's at and the camera must work like a cell phone.  That is what they are comfortable with and know. Canon should have realized that many years ago but didn't.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...but I think the M6 is the camera that will bring new Canon customers into the fold."

I actually hope you are right. The more the better!  But in the several years I did DSLR 101 classes I never saw one M series camera.  Most of the folks were young Moms with a Rebel and a kit lens.

One thing is for certain young is where it's at and the camera must work like a cell phone.  That is what they are comfortable with and know. Canon should have realized that many years ago but didn't.

I guess I would expect a DSLR 101 class to attract folks with a DSLR. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I guess I would expect a DSLR 101 class to attract folks with a DSLR."

And that "guess" would make you wrong!  Smiley Happy  I had folks with Powershots and other P&S.  Evem film cameras!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I guess I would expect a DSLR 101 class to attract folks with a DSLR."

And that "guess" would make you wrong!  Smiley Happy  I had folks with Powershots and other P&S.  Evem film cameras!

I've never met Ernie, but it's pretty clear that he's a character from whom almost anyone with an interest in photography would enjoy taking a class. (If the student also played the trombone, so much the better.)  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements