cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D Autofocus Issues with EF 100-400mm L IS II USM

canon_eos_90D
Contributor

I recently bought a Canon EOS 90D body.

Unfortunately I'm encountering focus issues when using the body with the Canon 100-400mm L IS II lens.

When I'm trying to focus (using OVF) on an object (like a race car for instance) that's coming towards to me, the camera/lens won't focus.

The settings on my camera are: Autofocus > AI Servo, shutterspeed: 1/1000 - 1/2000. Normally those shutterspeeds should deliver me a sharp picture. But that's not the case.

When I attach the lens to a Canon 6D or 5D Mark IV I don't have any problems at all; the focus issues don't happen with those two bodies.

I know when a subject moves closer to or further away of the camera, the sensor can have some difficulties in focussing. But with the fast shutter speeds I should get sharp images, which is not happening with the 90D body.

Anyone an idea how I can solve this issue?

36 REPLIES 36

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Perhaps it does I never noticed it and I never turn IS off. I have not seen that article either.

I don’t even turn IS off on a tripod and never seen it hurt/help either.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The info in this article is the same as was on the Canon site.

Should You Turn Off "IS" When Using Action-Stopping Shutter Speeds? (the-digital-picture.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

As far as I am concerned they can remove the IS on/off switch! 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

steinr98
Contributor

U-tube, Marvin the Mavin a great video series on the 90D!

Sports/wildlife settings- (by Marvin)

AV setting - set apature, Higher ISO, Watch your speed due to lighting- up ISO if needed to get 1/1500 to 1/2000 speed. You have to watch this!

Manual setting - set speed, 1/1500 to 1/2000, set apature, set ISO to AUTO, for moving objects.

Set - AL servo, Hi speed shots Not single shots, shoot in raw or can shoot jagged L jpeg if don't want to process but raw is much better(better quality).  hi speed shutter gives you a better chance of getting one or more good shots.

Orange tab in the menu: C Fn II - #1 set to -1, or -2 to lock on focus(try best for you),  #2 set to +1 if object does not change direction ( a small bird goes every where), #12 set to off or disable-90D works better without face dection( a known fact!).

I have used these setting and they work great on flocks of birds moving in one direction!!  

Give it a try as you have nothing to lose.  You do have to keep the ISO up on the 90D!!  ONe other point that was made earlier, if there is a lack of contrast the 90D has a very hard time focusing period!!!

Try a tripod to make sure photos are sharp to begin with, or you may need Micro focucing adjustment as mentioned earlier!!!

Use  a target or a glossy printed page from a magazine as a trial for sharpness at a good distance.

Good Luck!

@steinr98 wrote:

U-tube, Marvin the Mavin a great video series on the 90D!

Sports/wildlife settings- (by Marvin)

AV setting - set apature, Higher ISO, Watch your speed due to lighting- up ISO if needed to get 1/1500 to 1/2000 speed. You have to watch this!

Manual setting - set speed, 1/1500 to 1/2000, set apature, set ISO to AUTO, for moving objects.

Set - AL servo, Hi speed shots Not single shots, shoot in raw or can shoot jagged L jpeg if don't want to process but raw is much better(better quality).  hi speed shutter gives you a better chance of getting one or more good shots.

Orange tab in the menu: C Fn II - #1 set to -1, or -2 to lock on focus(try best for you),  #2 set to +1 if object does not change direction ( a small bird goes every where), #12 set to off or disable-90D works better without face dection( a known fact!).

I have used these setting and they work great on flocks of birds moving in one direction!!  

Give it a try as you have nothing to lose.  You do have to keep the ISO up on the 90D!!  ONe other point that was made earlier, if there is a lack of contrast the 90D has a very hard time focusing period!!!

Try a tripod to make sure photos are sharp to begin with, or you may need Micro focucing adjustment as mentioned earlier!!!

Use  a target or a glossy printed page from a magazine as a trial for sharpness at a good distance.

Good Luck!

Good info!

I suspect that you are referring to YouTuber Michael the Maven.  What a weird name.  I suspect that the OP is already familiar with his YouTube channel, which is probably half the problem.

YouTube - Micheal the Maven - 90D Wildlife Setup 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Kuriachen
Apprentice

I am having similar issues but with a Tamron Lens. When I use the lens in a Full frame camera body, it works like a charm but on my 90D there are two issues. Focussing and incase I get a shot, the image isnt sharp. Tamaron says its a body problem, Canon says its a lens problem. So I am stuck with a useless kit for now.

If you have a problem with your camera. Please make a NEW forum. Commenting in an old one can cause confusion.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements