cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 80D

rabby
Contributor

I have just bought an 80D and find that when I use high speed shooting the buffer fills after 18 frames (RAW) and takes 15sec to get the preview screen back. This seems slow and I wwould appreciate any comments.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is from the 80D Instruction Manual.

1. C1297EA4-A871-4317-AF05-7CE19FCD873A.jpeg

I suggest that you try a Lexar Sandisk Extreme Pro 32/64 GB card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not know what the specs are on the 80D off the top of my head, but that does not sound right.  It sounds like your memory card could be the issue.  Did you format it in the camera prior to first use?

What specific brand and model card are you using?  It sounds like you either have a low quality card, or too much card.

Hi Waddizzle
Thanks for the quick reply. I have SDXC 64 GB card 100mb/sec and formated the card in the camera

@rabby wrote:
Hi Waddizzle
Thanks for the quick reply. I have SDXC 64 GB card 100mb/sec and formated the card in the camera

What brand?  Who made it?  At 100mb/sec, that sounds like “too much card.”  Is it a UHS-1 card?  

I forgot to point out that a “low level format” should be performed.  There are counterfeit cards sold on Amazon an eBay, BTW.

Is that a regular size SDXC card or are you using micro card with adapter?  Micro cards used with an adapter are often problematic.

I believe that burst mode for the 80D using full size RAW files is around 20-24 captures before the buffer fills and shooting rate slows significantly so that sounds about right for that combination.  While it is dumping the buffer I would expect the preview is going to be slowed because that isn't a priority for the camera-clearing the buffer and preparing for another burst is the priority.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

HI All,

I have checked the card and it is a Samsung EVO plus U3 64GB. I did a low level format on the card and it is doing 21 RAW and taking 14secs for the screen to come back on. I must say I find this a problem. I am into bird photography and this makes it difficult to make adjustments quickly. I have an EOS 5D3 and have also had a 7D2 and never encountered this problem before.

thanks

@rabby wrote:

HI All,

I have checked the card and it is a Samsung EVO plus U3 64GB. I did a low level format on the card and it is doing 21 RAW and taking 14secs for the screen to come back on. I must say I find this a problem. I am into bird photography and this makes it difficult to make adjustments quickly. I have an EOS 5D3 and have also had a 7D2 and never encountered this problem before.

thanks

I think you have just identified the problem.  You may have “too much card” for the 80D.  You should not use a U3 card, only a U1 at most.  I would definitely try a different card.  They are cheap.  Make sure you format the card in the camera wher it will be used, too.

I have no experience with Samsung cards, because I only use Lexar and Sandisk almost exclusively.  I have settled on Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB and Extreme 32GB as my standard cards.  I buy them mostly from B&H.

The 80D has a buffer rated at 25 RAW frames, or 110 JPEG frames, at 7 fps continuous shooting.

This is from the 80D Instruction Manual.

1. C1297EA4-A871-4317-AF05-7CE19FCD873A.jpeg

I suggest that you try a Lexar Sandisk Extreme Pro 32/64 GB card.

A U3 card is overkill but should be fine however not all cards perform well.  Here is a link to some cards tested in the 80D and although your card isn't listed, the only Samsung EVO on the list is a U1 card that was pretty pathetic compared to all of the other cards.  https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-card-for-the-canon-80d/

I stick with Sandisk and Lexar cards and buy them from B&H after getting some obvious counterfeit Sandisk cards from Amazon a couple of years ago.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks to all for the info. I will try a different card and report back

Announcements