cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Soft focus

magmo
Contributor

Hi, I have had a Canon EOS 50D for a long time and decided to upgrade to a 7D Mark II since this fitted my need for indoor sports photography. I also purchhased a used Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L USM. But I am not happpy with the images, they are not sharp but have a soft focus. I saw that a focus screen (EH-S) is available suitable for lenses with f2.8. Does anyone have experience of this focusing screen?

The images shoot indoor is usually at 1/800, f/2.8 and ISO 6400

21 REPLIES 21

magmo
Contributor
Yes, I will send both the Camera and the 70-200 lens to Canon for a professional MFA. I dont think it is neccessary for the 24-70 lens. But in your opinion this is as good as it get and what I can expect from this combo, right?

Yes, the results from the 24-70 look very good, certainly nothing wrong with the camera.

The differences between the 50D and the 7D2 in terms of image quality are not that large under normal conditions, what of course you do gain from the 7D2 is greatly improved functionality.

"...what I can expect from this combo, right?"

Sometimes the hype exceeds reality.  Send it in for piece of mind.  As to whether you should buy the 6D Mk II, there is always trade offs.  You may gain some better high ISO ability with the 6d2 while sacrificing  some resolution.  6 fps vs 10 fps, etc. and so forth.  So you need to weigh both systems to determine which satisfies your goals better. I don't like to, and rarely do, put cameras in a single classification but the 7D Mk II is probably the better sports camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

magmo
Contributor
Maybe I had too high expectasions on the camera. I honestly thought it would perform better in low light indoor shooting. Maybe I should go for the FF 6D Mark II instead?

lly3988
Rising Star

Did you shoot the images handheld or on a tripod ?

Have you tried liveview focusing ? Take some images with liveview focusing or even manual focusing and compare to the results of focusing using focus points.

Magnify the images taken with different focusing methods and compare them. Then you may consider whether you need to AFMA for individual lenses.

Try shooting in a controlled enviroment, may be avoid some lighting conditions that will reduce the contrast of the subject or even confuse the focusing sytem of the camera.

Focus screen will not help you in auto focus at all. Try manual focus with subject magnify in the liveview to acieve critical focus. If softness persists, you might also have problem with your lens(es). Glasses may have to be re-aligned by Canon.

Good luck.

magmo
Contributor
Hi, i used a tripod. I am not happy at all with the picture Quality/sharpness and really expected more from a lens like this. I will send it to Canon after this weekend and will post the result when I get it back

@magmowrote:
Hi, i used a tripod. I am not happy at all with the picture Quality/sharpness and really expected more from a lens like this. I will send it to Canon after this weekend and will post the result when I get it back

You might want to send the camera and the lens, too, if you can.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi, yes I spoke to the service center and I will send both the lens and the camera to them.

@magmowrote:

I figured you used a tripod.  What focusing mode were you using, One Shot or AI Servo?  IS, on or off?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

One Shot

Announcements