cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 7D Battery drain Issue

isad008
Contributor

Hello,

Last week I bought a new Canon EOS 7D body. Before starting to use the camera for the first time I fully charged my battery and started using it. I used the camera for one week. I shoot raw with back display always on and LCD brightness to very low. I took around 200 images, 10 with live view mode and 2-3 image with flash and a 30 sec video and my lens is 24-105 f/4 L. I turn off the camera when not in use. 

But after 200-250 images my battery just rans out of juice. According to canon, the battery supports up to 1000 shots with fully charged battery. I don't use flash at all and I did mostly indoor shoots. What I feel like is my battery is draining pretty fast. Seems very unusual. After facing this issue I tried to find out how fast my battery was draining. So I shoot 3 raw images and found that battery just drained 1% so I keep doing it and eventually found that each 3-4 images taken my battery loses 1% of charge. I can only take around 220-280 images with a fully charged battery.

Super disappointed  :(

I hope any Canon 7D user could shed some light with this matter. Let me know if I am doing anything wrong here. Thanks in advance.

"Life it self is a mystery, Shoot everything"
Canon - 7D, 600D/T3i
Canon - 24-105mm F/4 L, 50mm F/1.8 Mark II
MY FLICKR
37 REPLIES 37

roderickruiz1
Contributor

Hi,

I'm having the same problem.  I just got my new Canon 7D Mk II 2 days ago and I did what most excited photographer would do is to charge up that battery.  But low and behold, after a couple of experiments on the battery issue, the battery is discharging even when the camera is off by 10%-25%.  This is terrible.  I hope Canon can fix this.  I love this camera.

Rod.

Shut off the GPS.

roderickruiz1
Contributor
Like I said, I did all of that specially the GPS.

You wrote that you did shot off the camera, not GPS.

What about another battery? Same issue?

What about other lenses or without a lens? Do you use a Tamron 24-70?

roderickruiz1
Contributor
I only tried it with my old Canon 7D Battery to set up the Camera while the new one was charging. But that's about it. Then I swap the new one in once the charging was done.

roderickruiz1
Contributor
I use the Canon ESF 17-55 and yes I turned off the camera and disabled GPS.

So try without a lens and also try your older battery.

roderickruiz1
Contributor
I will and I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks.

Something new about this?

roderickruiz1
Contributor
There was something wrong with the battery so I went and bought a new one. Now its perfect.
Announcements