cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 70D grip problem

josh95111
Apprentice

I bought a 3rd party BG-E14 grip. When grip is attached to camera, the shutter dial on camera won't work. If I turn off grip power, shutter dial on camera works. If I removed the grip, the shutter dial on camera works as it should. Does anybody have this problem. It seems like the grip is sorting out the camera shutter dial. When the grip is attached & power ON, the shutter dial on the grip works fine. 

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" It seems like the grip is sorting out the camera shutter dial."

It probably is.  3rd party grips are usually a bad idea.  Stick with Canon brand.  Do it before this grip ruins your camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" It seems like the grip is sorting out the camera shutter dial."

It probably is.  3rd party grips are usually a bad idea.  Stick with Canon brand.  Do it before this grip ruins your camera.

That sounds a tad alarmist to me. I think it's a bit far-fetched that a crappy grip will ruin the camera. I suspect that in this case "s[h]orting out the camera shutter dial" actually means "fooling the camera's firmware into allowing it (the grip) to preëmpt that function."

Which doesn't mean that the grip shouldn't go back where it came from. A crappy grip is a crappy grip, and sticking with the Canon brand makes sense to me.

I don't believe in grips anyway. To me a grip is just a costly way to add weight and bulk for rather little benefit.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"To me a grip is just a costly way to add weight and bulk for rather little benefit."

You got part of that right. It does add a lot of weight but "little benefit"?  One thing to remember the grip comes off.  Just as easily as it goes one.  When you don't need it, remove it.

When I had my Rebels, I had grips for all of them.  The extended battery life is amazing and I could send a 2nd out for a day's shoot without fear of battery drain.  Plus they did not have to contend with swapping out the battery, or losing it.  And the vertical shooting position is better.

I no longer have any Rebels but all my 1 series come with a grip more ot less as they are.  Once you go 1 series, you will never go back.  They are something special.

EB

joe_okura
Enthusiast

well i have a real bg-e14 and have a slight issue.

it seems i was useing wireless and tured it off. after my shoot i could not syinc with a usb cord it was tring to set up a wireless connection but the camrea wirelss was off. to fix the issue i had to remove my battry pack and restart the cmarea not the grip but battry pack. i have used wireless before i got the grip and did not have any issues with syinc . any insight will be good on this issue

a ftb n ti1 70d 5d mk3 lens, 50 1.8mk1 50mm 1.4 16-35 4.0isL 400mm 5.6L
etc. using canon slrs from 1975

" any insight will be good on this issue"

Yes,

... it isn't the grips fault! 

EB

@joe_okura wrote:

well i have a real bg-e14 and have a slight issue.

it seems i was useing wireless and tured it off. after my shoot i could not syinc with a usb cord it was tring to set up a wireless connection but the camrea wirelss was off. to fix the issue i had to remove my battry pack and restart the cmarea not the grip but battry pack. i have used wireless before i got the grip and did not have any issues with syinc . any insight will be good on this issue

If the camera is attached by a USB cable to a computer, Wi-Fi can not be set (Troubleshooting, EOS 70D Manual, Page 426).

Is it possible that you tried to turn off Wi-Fi after attaching the cable? The camera's behavior "... it was trying to set up a wireless connection..." suggests that the Wi-Fi was still on. 

i did use the wifi early in the day when it happed but i turned it off at the event. the staius  did say it say it was off.

the synic trouble came 4 hours later

a ftb n ti1 70d 5d mk3 lens, 50 1.8mk1 50mm 1.4 16-35 4.0isL 400mm 5.6L
etc. using canon slrs from 1975
Announcements