cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS-6D preliminary hands-on review

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

Canon EOS-6D

The Canon EOS-6D light weight, full frame camera was introduced a month ago. It has a list price of $2,099 and should be available by the end of 2012.

Canon EOS 6D key specifications :

• 20.2MP full frame CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC 5+ image processor
  • ISO 100-25600 standard, 50-102800 expanded
  • 4.5 fps continuous shooting
  • 'Silent' shutter mode
  • 1080p30 video recording, stereo sound via external mic
  • 11 point AF system, center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV
  • 63 zone iFCL metering system
  • 97% viewfinder coverage; interchangeable screens (including Eg-D grid and Eg-S fine-focus)
  • 1040k dot 3:2 3" ClearView LCD (fixed)
  • Single SD card slot
  • Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
  • Single-axis electronic level

The folks at DPReview has obtained a pre-production model of the EOS-6D and gave it a 'test drive' and wrote a preliminary review of the camera. You can read the post here. I plan to get a hold of the camera and put it through some photo shoots once it is available through the Canon Professional Network. In the meantime, you can take a look at my previous post comparing the EOS-6D to the Nikon D600.

33 REPLIES 33

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

The EOS-6D should be a very sought after Christmas present if Canon is able to ship the camera early enough to cash in on the season of generous giving. This is by no means an easy thing judging from Canon's track record in sticking to its self declared available dates recently. 

http://MichaelDanielHo.com

alain
Contributor

Too bad the AF is still very limited, comming straight from the 5D2>5D1>20D legacy, it is only precise in the center (try the external point with 85II at f1.2 ... you're not sure to get one sharp image out of 3 tries).

I'd say this is the big weakness of this camera, it really limits is use with many subject.

I highly recommend anyone interesested in the 6D tries the 5D3 or some of the 1D before deciding to buy, because their AF performance is night & day compared to 6D. Once you have tried those AF, unless you shoot only static subjects, it is very very hard to come back to such a limited AF.

Alain

@alain wrote:

Too bad the AF is still very limited, comming straight from the 5D2>5D1>20D legacy, it is only precise in the center (try the external point with 85II at f1.2 ... you're not sure to get one sharp image out of 3 tries).

I'd say this is the big weakness of this camera, it really limits is use with many subject.

Alain

You could also argue that the 5DIII's AF is a weakness compared to the 6D, as the latter is one EV more sensitive (-3 to -2) in the center point.  It is 3x more sensitive than the previous 5Ds, which were sensitive to -0.5.  

Like anything photographic, there are trade-offs when price is a consideration.  For me personally, I need a super sensitive center point for my work and I'm happy.  In this regard, the 6D's AF is not a weakness, but a strength.

Mike > well, I fully understand your position, but you may agree that 95%+ will consider the 5D3/1Dx AF superior to the 6D option.

Michael > it is fair to compare it to what is available, yes, and that includes competition, especially the D300 who beneficiated of a more advanced AF

It is a fair comparison to match the AF capabilities of the EOS-6D to the EOS-5D MK III or the newer EOS-1D cameras? The list price of the 6D is $2,099, the 5D MK III is $3,499 and the 1D X is $6,799. It is fairer to compare apples to apples and judge them accordingly.

dave
Contributor

I am very interested in the 6D. I own the 5D2 and concerning IQ there won't be much difference. But the loud and shaky shutter of the 5D, the silent mode of the 6D respectively, lower weight, better ISO and smaller size would make the 6D a better camera. If I could have wished I wanted an even more purist and smaller 6D, no video, wifi and gps, however. 

But I have a QUESTION: Will there be a focus confirmation on the focus points like the red confirmation flash there is with the 5D2? I like to shoot with my small 40mm Voigtlander Ultron manual focus lens (just an excellent lens btw) and therefore highly appreciate this focus confirmation feature. If somebody already knows the answer, this would be very nice, thanks!

Dave,

Yes, the 6D does confirm the focus point by flashing the indicator when it achieves focus.  (Also, audio confirmation as well.)  And there is an option to view which indicator was used for focus during playback.

Great camera!! Got mine last week.

Jim

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

I have no doubt the EOS-6D will make the EOS-5D MK II 'obsolete'. That's why the MK II is selling for such a low price now so camera stores can get rid of all their remaining inventory. I will be interested in getting my hands on the 6D for a test when it become available.

I like your wildlife photography and your wildlife photos and your wildlife wallpaper. Thanks for posting your comments on the 6D. I look forward to seeing more of your wildlife photos and wildlife wallpaper shot with the 6D.

http://alrazaak.com

Announcements