cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS-6D preliminary hands-on review

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

Canon EOS-6D

The Canon EOS-6D light weight, full frame camera was introduced a month ago. It has a list price of $2,099 and should be available by the end of 2012.

Canon EOS 6D key specifications :

• 20.2MP full frame CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC 5+ image processor
  • ISO 100-25600 standard, 50-102800 expanded
  • 4.5 fps continuous shooting
  • 'Silent' shutter mode
  • 1080p30 video recording, stereo sound via external mic
  • 11 point AF system, center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV
  • 63 zone iFCL metering system
  • 97% viewfinder coverage; interchangeable screens (including Eg-D grid and Eg-S fine-focus)
  • 1040k dot 3:2 3" ClearView LCD (fixed)
  • Single SD card slot
  • Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
  • Single-axis electronic level

The folks at DPReview has obtained a pre-production model of the EOS-6D and gave it a 'test drive' and wrote a preliminary review of the camera. You can read the post here. I plan to get a hold of the camera and put it through some photo shoots once it is available through the Canon Professional Network. In the meantime, you can take a look at my previous post comparing the EOS-6D to the Nikon D600.

33 REPLIES 33

Hi James. Thanks for your reply. Glad you like my work and you can visit my website any time to get the latest wildlife and travel posts from my photo shoots. I just came back from Maui on a whale shoot. Will be doing India, Svalbard, Alaska, Africa, Canada, Asia all this year.  http://MichaelDanielHo.com 

i visited your website Micheal I like your birds Photos love them

shoot_ric
Contributor

Michael Daniel Ho,

I like your wildlife photography and your wildlife photos and your wildlife wallpaper. Thanks for posting your comments on the 6D. I look forward to seeing more of your wildlife photos and wildlife wallpaper shot with the 6D.

joshhuntnm
Contributor

I am really curious how the high ISO preforms. 

Josh Hunt

www.joshhunt.com

salsaguy
Apprentice

I read in the 6D specs that the flash synch on the 6D is only 1/400? Is that really true? I have a 60D which has a 1/250 synch speed. Why would they weaken the flash synch for a FULL Frame camera which would cater to a semi-pro / advanced amateur looking for a good bargain?

I would think this would be a big weakness for many and cause those in the know to NOT buy the 6d.

Id love a 6D to have both a full frame and cropped sensor combo to have in my bag but when I read the flash synch  on the 6D I was surprised and turned off a bit.

Why couldnt they keep the 250 synch speed?
 what was the limiting factor? Weight?/parts?

@salsaguy wrote:

I read in the 6D specs that the flash synch on the 6D is only 1/400? Is that really true? I have a 60D which has a 1/250 synch speed. Why would they weaken the flash synch for a FULL Frame camera which would cater to a semi-pro / advanced amateur looking for a good bargain?

I would think this would be a big weakness for many and cause those in the know to NOT buy the 6d.

Id love a 6D to have both a full frame and cropped sensor combo to have in my bag but when I read the flash synch  on the 6D I was surprised and turned off a bit.

Why couldnt they keep the 250 synch speed?
 what was the limiting factor? Weight?/parts?

I haven't looked up the 6D specs, but 1/400 sync speed is fasterbetter than 1/250, right?

X-sync is at 1/180 sec.

Sorry yeah I meant a synch speed slower than 1/250 of the 60D which would make it LESS desireable.

the next user posted the correct synch speed of 1/180 is is less than most other cameras even the Rebel series!?

CanonUser
Enthusiast

The EOS-6D sounds like a great camera for those who want a full frame camera but on a cropped frame budget. I only wish it uses a CF instead of SD card. Interesting preview. Can't wait to see and try it in stores. 

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

The eagerly awaited Canon EOS-6D camera is available for sale in Asia already. My friend in Hong Kong has informed me of this because he has bought one already. It will make a very nice Christmas gift to oneself or someone else if you can't wait. The price is $2,299 but since I do not endorse any retailers on my website or blog, you can contact me if you want the name of the seller.

The camera should be available in North America late this year but judging from Canon's delivery timetable in the last few months, I would not be surprised the deadline will slip.

http://MichaelDanielHo.com 

Announcements