cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 6D can't use SmallHD501 as external monitor

Nam-Reh
Contributor

Hello everybody ,

(forgive me my "poor" english , I speak Dutch/Vlaams/Flemish)

So : I work with Canon EOS , for analog and digital use.

The problem is with my Canon EOS 6D.

(I am a diver : "before" I used my older EOS 50D in combination with a Nimar underwater housing to photograph during my dives)

I decided that I wanted to step up the ladder and looked for a new underwater housing for my EOS 6D.

But (because of my aging eyes , I wanted to connect an external monitor (in an extra underwater housing for the monitor).
The SmallHD 501 5" monitor seemed to fit my needs the best (online). Including the UW-housing the bill was about 3000€... (only the monitor + housing)

I ordered the 501 (999€) and received it today. The UW-housing (1906€) will be delivered in about 2 weeks.
I was pretty happy , the finishing quality is top , I find.

I first tested it with my JVC Everio GZ-HM545 : it worked fine.
Then (...) I tested it with my EOS 6D... Error message on-screen : "No HDMI Signal"

The 6D works just fine when I connect it to my HDMI-PC-monitor.

I suppose it is a communication-problem between the 6D and the 501...?

Anyone experience with this bug...? (I hope someone has already an answer and solution ready... But I stay realistic...)

Best regards from Belgium , Herman (Nam-Reh). 

19 REPLIES 19

Hi Tim ,

I wrote above :

this evening ( = now yesterday evening) I tested the 501 together with a collegue-diver , with his cameras : Canon EOS 5D MK3 and canon EOS 5DsR (this is the top and latest of Canon EOS fullframe cameras)

Results :
* the 501 worked 100% fine with the 5D MK3 (!)
* the 501 worked NOT AT ALL with the 5DsR
* finally we re-tested the 501 with my 6D and most times we succeeded displaying the settings-menu on the 501 , but NO recording preview or recordings , photo's , movies. The 501 display flashes when we switch from settings to preview , but doesn't succeed in displaying what should be displayed.

(!) ALL EOS's work fine when connected on a HDMI-computer-display AND on a large TV/flatscreen.

We have been brainstorming about the possibility of differences in refresh (rate) or other "internal (non customizable by user) settings" between the different Canon EOS's...

I hope Canon will be willing to give me (technical) details/information of the differences between these EOS's...

update : SmallHD (the firm) has informed me today : Hi Herman, I wanted to follow up with you.  Our lead tester is out today but he is aware of the issue and should be able to investigate further on Monday.  I just wanted to make you aware so that you didn't think we had forgotten about you.  Have a good weekend!
That's what I call a follow-up of tech support 🙂

And... I do need the SmallHD501 (+ his Nauticam underwater housing > together cost 3000€) for my underwater photographing & video-recording

Are you using AC adapters on the cameras?  While it may not be the issue, what you are describing is consistent with a the presence of a ground loop.

For example, I have a video source with multiple HDMI outputs.  If I connect two certain monitors to it, one of them fails to display until anything until the other monitor’s HDMI cable is unplugged. As long as only one of the monitors is connected, they will display an HDMI signal.  As soon as I connect a second HDMI, that monitor fails to display.

The problem is that ground of the HDMI port is grounded to the third prong of the power cord, which is not a good thing.  The HDMI signal ground should be isolated from chassis ground, and it is not.  Some AC adapters do this, too.  One leg of the DC output is connected to the neutral, or the ground, of the AC power cord.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle ,

no such situation...
Only a SmallHD501  5" monitor , which has only 1 HDMI-IN and 1 HDMI-OUT port and can use 1 or 2 LP-E6(N) batteries

The weird part of the situation is that it does or not work with the 3 different types of Canon EOS's...

The extra control-evening at my fellow diver's house (with his 2 different EOS-camera's) have convinced me that my 6D didn't have a broken or damaged HDMI-port and that the issue was probably a refresh rate difference between EOS-types.
I repeat : it's a shame that the Canon Support does not want to enlighten me about these differences between the HDMI-signal of the 6D/5D_Mk3/5DsR... Pitty...

@Nam-Rehwrote:

Hi Waddizzle ,

no such situation...
Only a SmallHD501  5" monitor , which has only 1 HDMI-IN and 1 HDMI-OUT port and can use 1 or 2 LP-E6(N) batteries

The weird part of the situation is that it does or not work with the 3 different types of Canon EOS's...

The extra control-evening at my fellow diver's house (with his 2 different EOS-camera's) have convinced me that my 6D didn't have a broken or damaged HDMI-port and that the issue was probably a refresh rate difference between EOS-types.
I repeat : it's a shame that the Canon Support does not want to enlighten me about these differences between the HDMI-signal of the 6D/5D_Mk3/5DsR... Pitty...

Maybe it is the monitor?  Have you tried it with anything else, besides a camera, like a DVD player, or a laptop?

Canon is under no obligation to support, or guarantee, the compatibility of its’ hardware with third party hardware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Edit : YES , I've tested it with my laptop , the 501 works fine with it.
And also yes :  the 501 is brand new and we have (only) tested it with 3 Canon EOS-types : only the 5D MarkIII works "directly" (and 100%) with it... (as I had already written in comments) But NOT with the 5D MarkIII and only 50% (only the menu-settings are displayed) with my 6D)

The Tech Support of SmallHD is (also) looking for a solution.

This afternoon I have an appointment with a seller of another EOS 6D , to go look if my 501 would work with his camera (you never know...) 

@Nam-Rehwrote:

And also yes :  the 501 is brand new and we have (only) tested it with 3 Canon EOS-types : only the 5D MarkIII works "directly" (and 100%) with it... (as I had already written in comments) But NOT with the 5D MarkIII and only 50% (only the menu-settings are displayed) with my 6D)

This afternoon I have an appointment with a seller of another EOS 6D , to go look if my 501 would work with his camera (you never know...) 

Your description of the symptoms still doesn't make sense. There's at least a typo in that first paragraph somewhere. (Hint: There are two seemingly contradictory references to the 5D Mark III.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

... My bad ... (if I have to every time re-write my same comments...)

It has to be : 
@Nam-Rehwrote:

And also yes :  the 501 is brand new and we have (only) tested it with 3 Canon EOS-types : only the 5D MarkIII works "directly" (and 100%) with it... (as I had already written in comments) But NOT with the 5DsR and only 50% (only the menu-settings are displayed) with my 6D)

This afternoon I had an appointment with a seller of another brandnew EOS 6D , to go look if my 501 would work with his camera (you never know...) 

> Update about this : I have bought this 6D , because he's still in his original firmware and HE WORKED FINE WITH THE 501 (!!!)  (surprise and shock to me)

I am goïng to try to reset MY 6D to an earlier firmware and test it then with the 501

AND I'm in doubt about the quality of the HDMI-to-Mini-HDMI cable that I use for the moment...
I've just bought some other cables , to test the differences in signal/quality.

I'll keep you all posted/informed

Could it be the NTSC/PAL setting? That should not matter with HDMI, but you never know.

Latest update : it was the (brand new) cable that was faulty...

I bought today a very good quality new one and the problems were over. (It took so long because I do not live near a shop where they sell such cables , and online delivery would take longer)

so : resumed : my SmallHD501 is (now) working fine with my Canon EOS 6D

Latest update : it was the (brand new) cable that was faulty...
I bought today a very good quality new one and the problems were over. (It took so long because I do not live near a shop where they sell such cables , and online delivery would take longer)

so : resumed : my SmallHD501 is (now) working fine with my Canon EOS 6D

Topic may be closed

Announcements