cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 6D Member Reviews

TexasTea
Contributor

Good morning all,

I wanted to start a thread for member reviews of the new Canon EOS 6D, as they begin to come to market.  I'm not sure if I've made the first shipment from my local retailer, so in the meantime I would like to see what posters think about their 6D.  Pros, cons and candid reviews vs. other Canon products are appreciated!

38 REPLIES 38

Thanks for the tidbits!

More user friendly compared to the 7D?   How would they compare to the 5DM3 (if you have any experience with it)?  

I'm wondering how the high ISO noise is.

There's not near as many modes as the 5DIII, but by no means is it a real limiting factor. Not quite as customizable overall. The size and general form factor though is highly desirable for nature and travel. It's incredibly light, even compared to my 7D. For an entry level FF camera, I feel (from initial play) that Canon really hit it out of the park with the 6D.

TexasTea
Contributor

Picked up my 6D today!  Using the 24-105mm currently, and it feels incredibly solid.  This is my first L series lens, and it is a clear difference in quality.  The remote app is pretty fun to shoot with, and the second you take a shot, it appears on the device.  Nice to be able to review a shot immediately, and use the remote for tripod shots.  Can't wait to get a few hundred photos through it to really test the AF system.  So far, love the camera.

robinlamkie
Apprentice

I Upgraded from 60D w/ 18-55, my new 6d w/ 24-105 lens is everything I had imagined reading so many blogs about full frame and a L lens.  I have always been a maker/designer/builder and appreciate good tools and hardware.  

BSDguru
Contributor

Some quick comments without getting into details. I figured I'd keep my 7D as an alternative; I wondered if the 6D was that much better; maybe I'd use the 7D for video. After 5 days with the 6D, I sold my 7D. Better images, better video (also shoots continuous video, no more shutting off after 12 minutes). Most of all its lighter; 6D with an 17-40 is quite a bit lighter than a 7D with Tokina 11-16 with more range. Even with an f4.0 lens, low-light images are much better. Focus much better, particularly in low-light. 

Well worth the extra cost.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about selling your 7D? I'm going down the same path right now, the 6D has been really great for me, and I have my 7D, 18-130mm, and a battery grip that probably won't see much use now...

Craigslist. I've sold 2 cameras and a pretty high end lens; getting close to my price for each. Note that you'll get a lot of scammers on craigslist; most people involved in photography seriously have some online presence, so doing some research to figure out which ones are legit isn't too difficult.

I hate to be the sour grape in the bunch but I really don't see the need or a place for the 6D. I suppose if a person wanted a FF and just can not come up with the price of a 5D, it is OK.

If Canon was trying to get 7D or other crop sensors guys to convert, that may not be a rational choice if that person has a substantial collection of 'S' lens'.

I guess we will see if it makes a big splash on the camera buying public as it is early. I just don't see it as a “I gotta have.”

I am sure it is a good competent body and will have it champions. Just not me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

When I got my 7D, I promised myself that all of the glass I bought going forward would be EF, so when I wanted to upgrade to a different body, I wouldn't have an expensive set of paper weights.  I would have gone for the 5DIII, but as you mentioned, the price tag is vastly different from the 6D.  Part of the draw for the 6D is also it's portability.  It's incredibly light when compared to the 7D and 5DIII, thus making it more desirable for hiking and traveling with the camera itself.  While the 5DIII is no question a more diverse camera, the 6D suits my needs more than the 7D.

Anyone who bought all S lenses probably doesn't want or need to upgrade. There are a million businesses that need pro quality images but can't justify a camera that they don't even know how to use. It's a much bigger market than the sum of all pro shooters. The prosumer market is 1000x bigger than the pro photog market.

Announcements