cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 6D Mark II question!!!

hilliwilliam
Apprentice

Hi? First post here, Got a Canon EOS 6D Mark II With a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens.

My question is.

Is it possible while looking through the lens to get a quick focus not just in the middle (i.e. a kid running past) and still have the focus and background blur as in live mode?

Now the lens only has it in the middle and in live mode you tap where you want on the screen.

Hope my question is clear.

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@hilliwilliam wrote:

Hi? First post here, Got a Canon EOS 6D Mark II With a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens.

My question is.

Is it possible while looking through the lens to get a quick focus not just in the middle (i.e. a kid running past) and still have the focus and background blur as in live mode?

Now the lens only has it in the middle and in live mode you tap where you want on the screen.

Hope my question is clear.

Thanks in advance

Actually, you question is clear, but your description of what you are doing is not so clear.

What shooting mode are you using on the top dial?  What AF mode are you using?  What AF point mode are you using?  How far away is the kid?  Is the kid always running along the same path?  Depending upon the answers to those questions, I would try a slightly different approach.

Trying to focus on a kid running through and past the frame while using Live View sounds like a difficult challenge.  Why don't you use the viewfinder, which focuses much faster than Live View?  

I suggest that you get more familiar with the camera, and get more experience with that lens.  If you have not downloaded a copy of the full instruction manual, then i suggest that you do.  

BTW, I have not used that lens, but i would be a little surprised if it focuses fast enough for type of action photography such as you described.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Trying to focus on a kid running through and past the frame while using Live View sounds like a difficult challenge.  Why don't you use the viewfinder, which focuses much faster than Live View?

Does it? I guess I hadn't realized that. Don't they claim that mirrorless cameras focus faster than DSLRs?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Does it? I guess I hadn't realized that. Don't they claim that mirrorless cameras focus faster than DSLRs?

I have heard similar claims.  However, the 6D2 is not a mirrorless camera.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Well, yeah, but my point was that a mirrorless camera has only live view focusing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Well, yeah, but my point was that a mirrorless camera has only live view focusing.

Many mirrorless cameras have electronic viewfinders.  You do not have to rely on the rear LCD to take photos.  Also, many EVFs suffer a slight time lag between real time and what is displayed in the EVF.  

Locking focus on a subject running through the frame with a DSLR is a whole new can of worms.  But nowhere near as bad as trying it with most mirrorless cameras. 

The R and RP have phase detect sensors on the chip, so it focuses like a DSLR, not using contrast detect like a typical live-view.

@kvbarkley wrote:

The R and RP have phase detect sensors on the chip, so it focuses like a DSLR, not using contrast detect like a typical live-view.

Yes, and they have the same sensors as the 5D4 and the 6D2.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/learn/education/topics/article/2018/July/Intro-to-... 

I wonder how wel it works at capturing someone running through the frame.  I would not expect very good results.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... still have the focus and background blur as in live mode?"

If I understand correctly, it is possible with Photoshop.  Actually quite easy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements