cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 5Ds, Worth buying or not?

Ryanjrector
Apprentice

Besides the sticker price of $3,000 new, are there any other massive drawbacks to this camera that i should know about before I buy it?

I will be looking forword to your feedback!

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

diverhank
Authority

@Ryanjrectorwrote:

Besides the sticker price of $3,000 new, are there any other massive drawbacks to this camera that i should know about before I buy it?

I will be looking forword to your feedback!

Thanks!

I'd recommend that you buy the 5DSR instead because it's supposed to be sharper without the LP filter.  I recently own a 5DSR and I have not noticed any moire problems usually associated with not having the LP filter.

The only other drawback besides the sticker price is the poor ISO performance.  The highest ISO is like 2 stops below the 5D Mark III (that I also own).  From my experience I'd hesitate using the 5DS/R pictures at ISO 12800. Personally I'd keep it at ISO 1600 or lower.

The advantages of course is the incredible resolution.  I can crop an image more than half and the resolution is still better than a full size 5D Mark III...it's astounding actually... As a mattter of fact, I have been using the 5DSR as a BIF camera instead of my usual 7D Mark II, despite the low frame rate.   For BIF, you are usually too far away and being able to crop is a real game changer...

What Canon need is to have a camera like the Nikon 850 - high resolution, high frame rate, high ISO...Hopefully a new 7D Mark III will do that and will come out soon.  Quite a few of my BIF friends have abandoned Canon for this reason, sadly.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I recently switched from Nikon D2X to Canon 5Ds. I must say it's either getting used to Canon's system or the camera itself taking time to get used to, I am serious thinking of switching back, perhaps to Nikon D850 or D4.

I bought mine directly from Canon USA late March 2017 for an arm and a leg (5Ds and 24-70 ii 2.8).

I love the photos that this camera can produce when it works, meaning everything would have to be absolulte perfect, else, all kind of issues. Wondering if you are allowed to sell stuffs here?

Cheers,

LV.

"... Canon need is to have a camera like the Nikon 850 - high resolution, high frame rate, high ISO...Hopefully a new 7D Mark III will do that ..."

I agree.  The D850 is a fantastic camera.  Hard resisting not buying one!  But the 7D Mk III(?) will not be the Canon equivalent.  For one thing the D850 is a FF and the 7D series are crop frame.

The current 5 series, 5D Mk IV and  5Ds / 5Dsr run it s close second, don't you think?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@diverhank wrote:

What Canon need is to have a camera like the Nikon 850 - high resolution, high frame rate, high ISO...Hopefully a new 7D Mark III will do that and will come out soon.  Quite a few of my BIF friends have abandoned Canon for this reason, sadly.

Re: the 850. That would be awesome but Canon is too late. I do not expect any further substantial DSLR releases from Canon, as the company is rightly focused on mirrorless, as is Nikon. 

Re: the 7D Mark III. There will be no such release. The 7D II is the end of the line. 

" I do not expect any further substantial DSLR releases from Canon,..."

Neither do I. Smiley Sad

"What Canon need is to have a camera like the Nikon 850 ..."

Of course everybody has their opinion but there is no way I would go for a D850 over the 5Ds or better the 5DsR.

I'll give you the better ISO of the 850 but the 5Ds and R has more of the things I prefer and less of the gimmick the Nikon has.

Plus, Canon has one thing that no other company has, and that is the lens line up. If no spec was better that alone is reason enough to go Canon.

EB

Thank you

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I agree, I have the 5DsR and no regrets, I was not concerned about the high ISO and was aware of it before purchase, combined with a newer L series lens it is remarkable.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...are there any other massive drawbacks to this camera that i should know about before I buy it?"

I would ask, do you need 53mp ?  The 5D Mk IV is a better all around, shoot everything, camera.

EB

perrelliphoto
Apprentice

Hi,

The 5drs is at 1400.00 now.

Do you think it is worth selling my 5d mark3 for it?

Thanks,

William

Announcements