cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Using a 70-300mm Lens without a flash?

Gee
Apprentice

I just recently purchased a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and would like to know what you would recommend as a good setting to take photos of someone bowling at a center with the camera using a Canon 70-300mm Lens without a flash? Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
In a word... crank the ISO.

I have no idea where you're standing. Ideally you get the face of the subject AND the ball WITH ACTION in the shot. For "bowling"... they're *just* releasing the ball down the alley... but that means you are standing on the floor of the adjacent alley to take that shot and the bowling center probably wont be happy about that.

Most of the 70-300's are variable focal ratio... f/4-5.6. They can ONLY shoot f/4 if they're at the 70mm end of the range. By the time they're about halfway through the range they are already back up to f/5.6. The lens collects twice as much light at f/4 as it does at f/5.6.

The good news i the 5D III can handle the high ISO speeds. Once upon a time I used to be terrified with a DSLR to go beyond ISO 800 or 1600. The 5D III would handle ISO 6400 with less noise than some of my older cameras had at ISO 800.

Freezing action typically requires shutter speeds of around 1/500th or faster... but it turns out sometimes if the action isn't very fast then 1/250th can freeze the action (and often 1/500th isn't nearly fast enough). A faster lens would certainly be a big help... the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II is the dream lens for this sort of thing... but not cheap.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

joe_okura
Enthusiast

the Zoom is a little on the long side for taking indoor shots even on a full frame camara. but in natral light it can be done just make shure your wb is set for the lighting your. and 6400 iso will work but i sugest a better range for indoor shooting is 28-135

or even a 70-200. or consider a prime in the 85 mm range

joe

a ftb n ti1 70d 5d mk3 lens, 50 1.8mk1 50mm 1.4 16-35 4.0isL 400mm 5.6L
etc. using canon slrs from 1975

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Out of curiosity which 70-300mm are you talking?  The white one or the black one?

You didn't put the black one on a 5D Mk III ?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes the black one since that is the one I have at this time and it seems to work! Why wouldn't I want to use this one?

Generally it is a good thing to keep your photo gears in or nearly in the same quality level.  You have a camera body that is near the top of what is possible in camera technology.  However, your lens is at the bottom.

A camera can only produce what the lens tells it to.  For most people, by a great margin, the black 70-300mm is just fine because they have Rebels.  Usually when a person is willing to drop three grand on a camera, they have higher expectations.

However there is no doubt you can get decent results as a lot of the cost is build quality.

EB

Yes I totally agree with you and I did use the Lens I have now with the Canon EOS Rebel XTi and as you said it worked great. At this time of course I have the Canon Zoom Lens Ef 24-105mm and when I get the money hopefully upgrade my current 70-300 mm Lens. What do you recommend on the replacement for the 70-300 mm Lens? Thanks for your help!!

First of all, man, you have a great outfit there.  The EOS 5D Mk III along with the EF 24-105mm f4 L is a fine start.

OK, if you like the focal range of the lens you have than the obivious choice is the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens.

It is around $1500 bucks and is a very well respected lens.  However, if you can stand the price, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is the best lens on the planet.  IMHO, of course, as usual. Smiley Happy

EB

Thanks so much for your assistance! Hopefully being talking again soon.

Announcements