cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 40D

SNFStardust
Apprentice

Hello All,

I have a Canon EOS 40D that I purchased when they first came out. I haven't used it in probably 5 years and decided to dust it off. But it will not turn on. I've charged all the batteries and tried them all. nothing. I even replaced the eternal battery. Still nothing. Does anyone have any advice as to what else I could try. I have a bunch of lenses for this body and would like to use it if possible. Any advice on fixes? Or another compatible body I could purchase?

23 REPLIES 23

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You could check the micro switches in the battery door and memory card doors.

If no luck, you could buy another 40D for about $100 or spend a bit more and get a 50D, 60D, 70D, etc.

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

You could check the micro switches in the battery door and memory card doors.

If no luck, you could buy another 40D for about $100 or spend a bit more and get a 50D, 60D, 70D, etc.

The 70D was a lemon prone to a circuit board failure, and the 60D lacked autofocus microadjustment. But the 50D was a very good camera and a significant improvement over the 40D. it's only annoying omission was that it lacked an infrared receiver for a remote trigger. I had a 50D and liked it a lot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Canon "Prosumer" DSLRs never used infrared remotes until they started adding Video capability with the 5D Mk II, 7D and 60D. 

The infrared remote was added so that it was possible to have remote video start/stop. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

Canon "Prosumer" DSLRs never used infrared remotes until they started adding Video capability with the 5D Mk II, 7D and 60D. 

The infrared remote was added so that it was possible to have remote video start/stop. 

I guess you're right; I couldn't find it mentioned in the 40D manual.

But my XTi, which preceded the 50D by at least a couple of years, DID have it. So when I bought a 50D and it didn't have it, I was disappointed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ray-uk
Whiz

@SNFStardust wrote:

I even replaced the eternal battery.

Oooh, where do you buy them, I've always wanted a battery that would last forever Smiley Very Happy

RTG's come pretty close, but the power output will be very, very low after a few thousand years.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I haven't used it in probably 5 years and decided to dust it off. But it will not turn on."

I don't have an answer for you but I do have a similar story.  The other day I got my old 1D out and decided to play with it. It would not turn on either.  It worked perfectly when I put it into its bag several, I guess, years ago. I don't really know, I can't remember the last time I used it. At any rate it decided to retire like me I guess.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I know that some older strobe flashes, when left unused for a prolonged period of time, would not respond immediately when new batteries were first reinstalled. The capacitor(s) would fully drain and it would take more than a few minutes for them to "reform". After that, the flash would work as well as it ever did. Would DSLRs also suffer from a similar lag in start-up until some capacitor reformed?

Have you tried connecting the 40D to a computer via USB cable? What kind of response did you get?

I have not tried to connect it to a computer. As of right now I get nothing from the camera with fresh batteries. I do Have a multi battery attachment instead of just usung the single battery in the camera. I misplaced to original battery door. It's a real shame, I would really like to have a camera while I have the time to shoot. Thanks you all for your responses!

Announcements