cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 40D: no function after exposure failed and mirror locked up

No-Frills
Contributor

My wife bough ta used Canon EOS 4D, camera worked until today. Shutter count is 4,450, CF card is new.

This evening I took some shots of a store window with Fuji X-T20 with 1/30 ISO 1600 f5.66.

Then I would take a shot with the Canon. I saw 1/20 IS0 800 f5.6 and pressed accidentally the shutter button. The image wasn't recorded. After the accidentally shot  I saw that the Mode Dial was in Flash off mode.

As I tried to make the image with the Canon the mirror went up. I couldn't hear the shutter because nearby was loudf life music. The mirror didn't return. I turnd the camera off an on again and the mirror was locked up.

I turned the camera off, remived the battery and the mirror returned at once. I plugged the battery in, turned the camera on and I saw no menu items, menu button was without function, shutter didn't work. And that is the state since 4 hours.   

If you want to visit Germany feel free to ask me about good locations for photography in my region (Ruhr district, ex coal mine area, Duesseldorf). And yes, my username is inspired by some sketches of the Carol Burnett Show.
10 REPLIES 10

@Waddizzle wrote:

The most common reason for a company to drop support for repairing older electronic gear is the fact that one or more electronic components on the circuit boards are no longer being produced by a THIRD party.

Another (somewhat related) reason is that it's often cheaper to buy a replacement (or even a newer model) on the used market than to have an old camera repaired. If you decide to go that route, there are some caveats:

- The 50D lacks an infrared receiver and can therefore not be used with an IR trigger. (But it's otherwise a much better camera than the 40D.)

- The 60D (uniquely in the n0D product line) lacks autofocus microadjustment.

- The 70D is prone to a component failure on the main circuit board, which renders the camera inoperable and is expensive to repair. (However, Canon has recently been known to do the repair for free.)

The current model, the 80D, has none of those faults and should be readily available on the used market. You may even find it in the Canon online store as a warranteed refurb.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements