cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D with Sigma 70-200 overexposes all pictures taken through the viewfinder (live view ok!)

philippelang
Contributor

Hi,

I'm the happy owner of a Canon 90D. I have just bought a Sigma 70-200 lense, and I noticed that all pictures taken through the viewfinder are overexposed, no matter what I do. If I want to have a picture that is close to reality, I have to compensate the exposition with -2/-3. Tha't's a lot, not just "fine-tuning". With the other lenses, I never had this problem: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, Canon 50mm f1.8...

Is that Sigma firmware problem? 90D firmware problem?

56 REPLIES 56

In that case and you are certain you cleared all settings, I have to agree, "...one of my 90Ds is faulty in my humble opinion."

Send it to Canon for a C&C.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm hesitating sending the body to Canon, because a LOT of people using a combination 90D + Sigma experience exactly the same thing. The latest firmware version of most Sigma lenses mentions an "improvement" for viewfinder shooting with a 90D. I wonder if they did the job correctly. For quite some people on a Facebook 90D forum, the answer is NO!

I can't help you there (Sigma) but a C&C done by Canon will confirm whether it is the camera or not. Otherwise you need to contact Sigma. Neither Canon nor any of us can not help you with that

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

OK, thanks. I'll considering sending one of my 90Ds for a check. Do you know if there's a way they can "calibrate" the metering sensor?

Canon U.S.A., Inc. | Canon Maintenance Service

18-point service states they will check exposure. 

If you send be sure to specifically state what your problem is.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi, did you find any solution? I have a canon 90D and i am having the same problem with all my sigma lenses 18-35 art 18-300 C 150-600 C. Horrible overexposure through the OVF.

Hi, I got yesterday an answer from Sigma in my country, and they said they had received a new firmware for the 18-35 and the 70-200. Unfortunately, these firmwares are not available for a remote firmware update with the dock: I would have to send both lenses per post, something I'm not particularely motivated to do. Sigma insisted that this update might not solve my problem: they cannot garantee it.

I'll wait until I have my lenses updated before I send my second 90D to Canon. Do you confirm you don't have problems with non-Sigma lenses on your 90D? Maybe you don't have any non-Sigma lens, except your kit lense? 🙂

I'm having the same issue with my Sigma 150-600 C I tried everything and thought it was somthing I was doing wrong. My Canon 7I makes this 90D look bad. I thought I was moving up in life. Thanks for the post it's given me some hope and a new direction.

@cn4873 wrote:

I'm having the same issue with my Sigma 150-600 C I tried everything and thought it was somthing I was doing wrong. My Canon 7I makes this 90D look bad. I thought I was moving up in life. Thanks for the post it's given me some hope and a new direction.

Actually, it is the Sigma lenses making the 90D look bad.  The lens need firmware updates.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That might be true. But it is strange that my Canon rebel T7 takes flawless pictures with it. I just recieved my 90D last week so I'm still testing it out. I'll take more pictures with my Canon lenses and see what happens. But I have noticed that on a clear sunny day what my 7T sees as ISO 100 jumps to 400 with my 90D. and yes I do use auto iso and have been using it since I started taking pictures of Birds in flight or nesting. But I have tried every combonation I can think of and still can't make my pictures look as good as my 7T. So I'll give it another week and decide if it's worth keeping.

Announcements