cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D not recognized by computer! HELP!!!

bschneider15
Apprentice

Got a new 90D the other day and I'm having a problem getting it to connect to my laptop via USB cable.  I know what you're going to say "Make sure wi-fi is disabled!" been there, done that.  Has anyone had the same problem in the past?  If so, what did you do to fix it?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It would help to know what type of "laptop", Windows or MAC.  Does it have an Intel Chipset?

Did the camera come with a USB cable?  Canon seems to have stopped shipping cameras with USB cables.  They seem to want push wireless connectivity.  A "bad" USB cable is not unusual. 

I suggest that you try a different USB cable, and make sure it is a data cable, not a power cable.  Also, you want to try different USB ports.  USB port expanders seem to work poorly with the cameras.  Some laptops use them for the extra USB ports, but only one port is actually coming from the motherboard.  That is the one you want!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It would help to know what type of "laptop", Windows or MAC.  Does it have an Intel Chipset?

Did the camera come with a USB cable?  Canon seems to have stopped shipping cameras with USB cables.  They seem to want push wireless connectivity.  A "bad" USB cable is not unusual. 

I suggest that you try a different USB cable, and make sure it is a data cable, not a power cable.  Also, you want to try different USB ports.  USB port expanders seem to work poorly with the cameras.  Some laptops use them for the extra USB ports, but only one port is actually coming from the motherboard.  That is the one you want!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, Waddizzie!  The cable I was using was a power cable.  All good now! 

bschneider15
Apprentice
It's a PC with An Intel Chipset. Thanks for the input. I'll try the cable route. Makes a lot of sense.
Announcements