cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D consistently over exposing

davegball
Contributor

Hi

I've just upgraded my Canon 70d to the 90d. I used my 70d exclusively for macro photography. I'm in Manual mode for ISO, f-stop and shutter speed and TTL for the flash. I use evaluative metering and have always gotten very well exposed images on my old camera. Since upgrading to the 90d my photos are always over exposed anywhere from +1/3 to a full +1 stop depending on the magnification chosenon the macro lens. If it was a standard +1/3 across the board I could adjust Flash Exposure Compensation and be on my way. But I'm constantly checking and adjusting settings and it's frustrating. Also my subjects don't wait around. I've tried all available metering modes on the 90d but none allow me good exposures. I can live with minor issues but when a photo is a full stop over exposed I wonder. Different cameras handle in different ways so maybe its a nuance of the 90d or maybe I'm missing a menu setting. I've tried it with the mpe65 and 100mm macro lens and both result in over exposed photos. 

Any advice ? My 90d is on the shelf and I've gone back to my 70d until I can figure this out.

Thanks, 

David. 

10 REPLIES 10

@davegball wrote:

I only have ETTL or Manual flash control on both cameras. I don't think modern Canon cameras still have TTL as an option. 

They don't, but the flashes usually do. If the flash is inconsistent with the camera, you'll have a problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements