cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d

nav16
Contributor

So I was taking pictures last night and I turned off the camera and then turned it on again to take more and all of a sudden the squares won't go red anymore to focus. I tried on AV and manual and the squares just won't focus any more.. Anyone know how I can fix it. These are the settings 20190713_103505.jpg

22 REPLIES 22

@nav16 wrote:

Just to be clear. When I hold the af-on button then the squares will light up. But before when I hold the shutter button half way then it would light up and now they don't. I want the focus to happen when I hold the shutter button half way.. I can get the squares to go red and focus when I click the af-on but I want them to come on when I click the shutter button half way 

First, check these two options to make sure you didn't inadvertently disable the red dot display:

Capture.JPG

If you have correctly set the above options and still have the problem -- If you can light up using the AF-On button and not the shutter button then there's a chance that you have inadvertently turn off the AF for the shutter button.  Is the camera focusing when you press the shutter button half-way?

Check this option:  Make sure the Shutter Button (first one) is set to AF

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@nav16 wrote:
So I tried to take pictures outside where there is alot of light and even tried inside and turned on my lights. Took off the thing that was on the light shoe. I changed the setting to enable in the auto focus setting and still no luck. I even cleared all the settings and still couldn't get the red lights to come on when the lense is focusing. And the lense is set to auto and not manual.

Any other suggestions?

I don't mean to be argumentative, because I don't have a dog in this hunt. But I wonder if you aren't, at least partially, missing the point. In the previous commentary, we've been referring to the camera being set to Manual, not the lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

nav16
Contributor
So when I went into the custom control setting. I changed the shutter button to metering and af start and that fixed it
Announcements