cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d

nav16
Contributor

So I was taking pictures last night and I turned off the camera and then turned it on again to take more and all of a sudden the squares won't go red anymore to focus. I tried on AV and manual and the squares just won't focus any more.. Anyone know how I can fix it. These are the settings 20190713_103505.jpg

22 REPLIES 22

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@nav16 wrote:
I tried also in one shot mode and still couldn't get focus to work. I'll try to do the factory reset

Why don’t you take the camera to well lit location?  While you are it, remove that thing from the flash shoe.  Something is definitely wrong becase both shutter speed and aperture seem to be highlighted at the same time.

They're highlighted at the same time because the camera is in manual mode. Isn.t that what the "M" means?

Yes, the “M” means the camera is in Manual shooting mode.  But, you cannot adjust two settings at once on the Quick Menu, which is what the display seems to be indicating.  Besides, what is that thing on top of the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@nav16 wrote:
I tried also in one shot mode and still couldn't get focus to work. I'll try to do the factory reset

Why don’t you take the camera to well lit location?  While you are it, remove that thing from the flash shoe.  Something is definitely wrong becase both shutter speed and aperture seem to be highlighted at the same time.

They're highlighted at the same time because the camera is in manual mode. Isn.t that what the "M" means?

Yes, the “M” means the camera is in Manual shooting mode.  But, you cannot adjust two settings at once on the Quick Menu, which is what the display seems to be indicating.  Besides, what is that thing on top of the camera?

I don't have an 80D. But if my 5D4 is any guide, he's looking at the display via the "Info" button (where you can adjust both settings at once), not the "Q" button. But yeah, the actual form of the highlighting does look strange.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the 80D, when manual mode is selected, and you are using the info screen (in the shooting functions settings) as is the OP, both the shutter and F-stop are highlighted and the top dial adjusts the one, while the back dial adjusts the other. Both are highlighted as in the OP's picture.

@Anonymous wrote:

On the 80D, when manual mode is selected, and you are using the info screen (in the shooting functions settings) as is the OP, both the shutter and F-stop are highlighted and the top dial adjusts the one, while the back dial adjusts the other. Both are highlighted as in the OP's picture.

That is different from how every other type of Canon DSLR body that I have used.  I have used a Rebel, M-Series, every fulll frame series.  I have used 80D bodies but only briefly, and never noticed that difference.  The real time exposure display on the rear LCD is very useful.  It is far more convenient than the top LCD when using a tripod.  

Nikon bodies seem unable to allow you to do this.  Anytime you press the shutter, it blanks the display, and there is never an option to turn that off.  I have one Nikon body, a D3, and it is not able to do it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is different from how every other type of Canon DSLR body that I have used.  I have used a Rebel, M-Series, every fulll frame series.  I have used 80D bodies but only briefly, and never noticed that difference.  The real time exposure display on the rear LCD is very useful.  It is far more convenient than the top LCD when using a tripod.  

Nikon bodies seem unable to allow you to do this.  Anytime you press the shutter, it blanks the display, and there is never an option to turn that off.  I have one Nikon body, a D3, and it is not able to do it.

My 5DIV and 6D also have this feature, but the aperature and shutter speed are shown in a box, not highlighted. You can still adjust both though, using the shooting functions settings screen.

@Anonymous wrote:

My 5DIV and 6D also have this feature, but the aperature and shutter speed are shown in a box, not highlighted. You can still adjust both though.

Exactly.  Every Canon DSLR seems able to do it.  But, the exposure parameters are not highlighted like that.  Oh, well.

Speaking of a 5D4.  Press the [MENU] button once to display the menu system.  Now press [Q] several times.  Neat, huh?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My 5DIV and 6D also have this feature, but the aperature and shutter speed are shown in a box, not highlighted. You can still adjust both though.

Exactly.  Every Canon DSLR seems able to do it.  But, the exposure parameters are not highlighted like that.  Oh, well.

Speaking of a 5D4.  Press the [MENU] button once to display the menu system.  Now press [Q] several times.  Neat, huh?

Doing that, takes you to the first page of each menu with each press. There are lots of things to learn about in the cameras that are not always obvious or covered in the manual.

nav16
Contributor
I'll try it outside or with the lights on and I'll take off the thing from the hot shoe and see if it helps

nav16
Contributor
So I tried to take pictures outside where there is alot of light and even tried inside and turned on my lights. Took off the thing that was on the light shoe. I changed the setting to enable in the auto focus setting and still no luck. I even cleared all the settings and still couldn't get the red lights to come on when the lense is focusing. And the lense is set to auto and not manual.

Any other suggestions?

Just to be clear. When I hold the af-on button then the squares will light up. But before when I hold the shutter button half way then it would light up and now they don't. I want the focus to happen when I hold the shutter button half way.. I can get the squares to go red and focus when I click the af-on but I want them to come on when I click the shutter button half way 

Announcements