cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d

nav16
Contributor

So I was taking pictures last night and I turned off the camera and then turned it on again to take more and all of a sudden the squares won't go red anymore to focus. I tried on AV and manual and the squares just won't focus any more.. Anyone know how I can fix it. These are the settings 20190713_103505.jpg

22 REPLIES 22

CaliforniaDream
Enthusiast

In dim lighting, the autofocus points that are used to establish focus flash red in the viewfinder of your EOS 80D when you initiate autofocusing. If you find them distracting, you can turn them off; if you instead want them to appear even in bright light, you can make it so. The control that adjusts this behavior is VF Display Illumination, which is Custom Function 15 in the Autofocus section. You get three choices:

• 0: Auto: This is the default; the focus points flash red only in dim lighting.
  • 1: Enable: Here’s the option to select if you always want to see the focus points flash red.
  • 2: Disable: Okay, you’ve probably figured this one out already. But do note that even if you choose Off, you still see the red AF points light up when you’re using an AF Area mode that enables you to select a specific point or zone. Otherwise you wouldn’t know what AF point you were selecting.

Just set to enabled https://www.dummies.com/wp-content/uploads/9781119291367-fg1110.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It looks pretty dark and dim in that room.  The camera may not have enough light for the AF system to lock on a subject.  Take the camera to well lit location and try it again.  Shooting outdoors on a sunny day would be ideal.  

If it dos not work on a sunny day, then you probably have an issue with the camera.  Try to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  If a Reset does not cure it, contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

nav16
Contributor
I've always used the camera in the room and low light and the red focus points always go red

@nav16 wrote:
I've always used the camera in the room and low light and the red focus points always go red

Before you dismiss Waddizzle's point, remember that no camera has a dynamic range as great as that of the human eye. It may be that the camera has a better sense of how dim the room is than you do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

diverhank
Authority

The red square is not going to be displayed in AI Servo mode.  You need to be in the regular mode.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

The red square is not going to be displayed in AI Servo mode.  You need to be in the regular mode.

Good catch!

nav16
Contributor
I tried also in one shot mode and still couldn't get focus to work. I'll try to do the factory reset

@nav16 wrote:
I tried also in one shot mode and still couldn't get focus to work. I'll try to do the factory reset

Why don’t you take the camera to well lit location?  While you are it, remove that thing from the flash shoe.  Something is definitely wrong becase both shutter speed and aperture seem to be highlighted at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@nav16 wrote:

Why don’t you take the camera to well lit location?  While you are it, remove that thing from the flash shoe.  Something is definitely wrong becase both shutter speed and aperture seem to be highlighted at the same time.

They're highlighted at the same time because the camera is in manual mode. Isn.t that what the "M" means?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements