cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d worse than Canon rebel t3i

yteln
Contributor

Hi,

I just got a brand new Canon 80D and took some test shots on the exact same settings as my old T3i (f/stop, shutter speed, ISO but also all the other settings I could manually set.. white balance, focus mode, exposure comp, flash exposure comp, image effects, auto correct image brightness off, one shot AF, metering mode, etc.). Also swapped the lense so that it was the same on both.I set both cameras to take L + raw and am comparing jpegs. 

I'd expect 80d win this comparison but t3i produced much nicer, brighter images. Even when looking at just LCD screen I could immediately tell that t3i photos are brighter and better looking, but then downloaded it on PC and confirmed that as well.

How's that possible? Either I'm missing something or my new 80d doesn't function properly since it's obviously a much better camera and with the same settings should produce superior images.

Any ideas what I may be missing, any hidden setting which might be causing it or is there anything I can do to figure it out?

Regards

35 REPLIES 35

yteln
Contributor

Yes I understand comparing image on LCDs doesn't make much sense. The only reason I mentioned that is cause when I'm shooting I like to show the images on the LCD screen to models and for them how it looks on the LCD screen is everything. They dont' have really a sense of how much image can be improved in post-editing so it's somewhat important so that it looks as good as possible on the LCD as well.

Anyways, let's leave the LCD aspect aside, I would be interested hearing your thoughts on the CR2 images themselves.

Also, good point about wifi and other functionalities. I guess the price increase is mostly for those extra features and IQ is not *that* much better. 

I was kind of expecting more after seeing some images from mirrorless sony a7 III my friend was taking. But that's again 2x more expensive than 80d itself so not a fair comparison either.

"I would be interested hearing your thoughts on the CR2 images themselves."

OK, I can't do that because you can't view a Raw file which is what a cr2 is.  It has to be converted.  The samples on your site are conversions by whatever editor or viewer you used.   Can I d/l one or two of them and do the editing myself in PS?

"... I like to show the images on the LCD screen to models ..."

I do this also. I even use my laptop but I make sure they understand these are 'proofs' and not final production. You should do likewise.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

File formats have evolved along with the hardware. Thus, both the characteristics of both RAW and JPG files have changed over time. By rights that should mean that they have got better, but a lot depends on what you view them on, and in the case of RAW what software you convert them on and how it is configured.

A photograph is created only in part in the camera, what happens in post production can have a profound impact on the image - just look at the work of Ansel Adams or Lee Miller to see their original and final releases.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Before you bail out on the 80D too quickly, what other lenses do have at your disposal? Even a mid-grade Canon kit lens should be suitable for a bit of experimentation.

As Tronhard mentioned above, do some shooting with both cameras under good lighting conditions at f5.6 or f8. Keep your shutter speed up and don't go crazy with higher ISOs. Even try your Yongnou at f8 while you're at it. This should give you a much better comparison of what each camera is capable of doing.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I am pretty sure the OP has left. No lens will make any difference if it is OOF.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:
I am pretty sure the OP has left. No lens will make any difference if it is OOF.

So many people think that new tech will fix everything.   Nothing replaces observation and good operationg and trouble-shooting technique.  It's this kind of thing that makes more money for manufacturers - thinking that getting a new device will o overcome their issues.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements