cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d flash problem

Sburgess119
Apprentice
I just received the 80d 2 weeks ago and it appears I already have an issue. The automatic flash pops up when taking pics in low light, but doesn't fire correctly and sometimes not at all. The 1st time I used it for Christmas lights with my family and it was fine. The 2nd time I was inside and the flash would pop up and fire, but it was premature. The flash would fire too early resulting in the appearance of no flash at all. Now, it pops up but doesn't fire at all. This is a brand new camera less than 2 weeks old. Is there anything I can try to resolve this prior to sending it to canon?

TIA

Stephanie
22 REPLIES 22

FJaffer
Contributor
Thanks so much for the wonderful tip.

I had a fully charged battery before using the camera. Unfortunately, that didn’t fix the matter.

As I asked just before your first post, have you by any chance installed any sort of accessories into the hot shoe?

FJaffer
Contributor
I’m sorry I didn’t see that

The only external accessory was the canon etl flash 430EXII.

Thanks

@FJaffer wrote:

Thanks

That is a totally different problem from the issue that the OP had that started this thread.  Totally.

I recommend that you mount the flash, and power it up, before you power up the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@FJaffer wrote:

Thanks

No problem.

There's a very small switch hidden away under one of the guides on the LH side of the hotshoe (as viewed from the back of the camera). When anything is inserted into the hotshoe this switch is depressed which should prevent the flash from working, or even popping up and charging. Occasionally this switch can get stuck in the depressed position and keep the flash from working, even when there's nothing in the hotshoe.

If your flash pops up but doesn't fire when required this is probably not your problem. But it still might be worth having a look at it. Did you purchase your 80D new or used?

FJaffer
Contributor
It was purchased brand new around Xmas.

I think I am going to return this.  My concern is if I get another one and the same camera what if it happens again after the 90days or one year, I then have to send to Canon and pay for the fix. 

This seems to be a known problem now with this camera.

As a note, I have always purchased CANON cameras from EOS slr to dslr (10D -60D), and no other brand.. 

I only had to send a camera once to Canon (my daughter's powershot) for repair, I paid a fortune.  However, the camera came back in worse condition.  That is why I am hesitant to send anything back for repair.

Thanks,

Femina

I think I'd send it to Canon for inspection and hopefully repair under warranty. If they choose to repair it and can provide a logical cause for the problem and describe their repairs, I'd feel pretty satisfied that they made a valid repair.

If they just replaced the camera with no explanation as to why they chose to do so, I might have second thoughts.

Maybe.

joandrum
Apprentice

I bouight mine two weeks before you and I started having the same problems at the end of February. I am wondering if we fot a bad batch. Where did you buy yours? Mine came from B&H. How did you resolve this? 

FJaffer
Contributor
Hello.

I bought mine from Costco and returned it, but will probably buy it again.

I would send it to Canon as you should still have a warranty on it. Also, when they fix it do ask what the issue is.
Announcements