cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d - Tamron 150 - 600 G2

ansarsubhan
Apprentice

I am new member here.

Recently purchased Tamron 150 - 600 G2, I feel its not as sharp as exected.

Even during the right lighting conditions, my ISO goes high. I suspect either i am using wrong settings or bad copy of lens.

Any one had a similar issue with this combination?

Here is the picture attached, even during the bright sunlight with VC turned off the ISO goes high and image is not so sharp. Since the Iso shoots up pixels started to break. 

not sure if it is problem with the lens or my technique.

iso 10000 600mm f/8 1/1000sIMG_8798.JPG

iso 2500 450mm f/8 1/1000

IMG_8806.JPG

iso640 600mm f8.0 1/500

IMG_8789.JPG _ iso 640 600mm f_8 1_500

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ansarsubhan
Apprentice

Update to the post.

End up sending the lens and camera to the Tamron.

Got them back in a week, it is awesome now. Its raining here , so unable to test a whole lot but with the little bit of testing the outcome was so vibrant and sharp.

Thanks you all for the reply.

Will update the photos shortly. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not enough information.  What shooting settings are you using?  Exposure?  Shooting mode?  Focusing mode?

What type of subjects are you trying to photograph?  What settings are you using on the lens?  Are you using some form of camera support, like a tripod or monopod?

Can you post a sample photograph of your issue?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ansarsubhan wrote:

I am new member here.

Recently purchased Tamron 150 - 600 G2, I feel its not as sharp as exected.

Even during the right lighting conditions, my ISO goes high. I suspect either i am using wrong settings or bad copy of lens.

Any one had a similar issue with this combination?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

I use a Sigma 150-600mm, which is very similar, mainly for shooting sports played on a big playing field.  I get the best results shooting at f/8 across the entire zoom range.  I also use Manual shooting mode, but with ISO set to Auto.  I do set a maximum value in the menus for Auto ISO mode to use.  Your 80D should get decent shots up to ISO 6400, and higher, provided you are not too zoomed in on details.

I use fast shutter speeds, both to freeze motion and to compensate for the long focal length.  Back in the 35mm film cameras days, before autofocusing lenses and image stabilization, the rule of thumb for determining a minimum shutter speed was this, 1 / FL, where FL equals Focal Length of the lens in use.  

That rule of thumb applies to full frame image sensors.  Your APS-C sensor will have a longer equivalent focal length because of its’ 1.6 crop factor.  For your APS-C sensor, I would use this, 1 / (2 * FL), or twice the focal length.  For your 600mm lens, this works out to a recommended minimum shutter speed of 1/1200. I would use at least 1/1000 to 1/1600 at 600mm.

But, the exposure is just one part of the big picture.  There are also AF mode and Shooting Drive mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The ISO is high because it is a slow lens that requires a relatively fast shutter to prevent camera blur. (The old shutter speed = 1/focal length rule.) I was just shooting a high school graduation in an indoor stadium and the ISO was routinely 6400.

Soccer season is winding down and I have been reviewing images to decide what I want to do differently for next season.  Most of the time I have used aperture priority mode with the ISO manually set to a reasonable level to achieve the fastest shutter speed and this has worked pretty well for the high school level where I am generally using either a 400mm 5.6 or a 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4X. For my daughter's next to last weekend of U14 soccer I tried fixed aperture with shutter at 1/500 and with auto ISO and that worked nicely to provide the silky smooth photos that cameras provide at lower ISO settings and I will probably shoot high school next year at 1/640 or 1/800 with fixed Av and auto ISO.

I like shooting with an open aperture to emphasize the chosen players but it does put more pressure on the photographer and camera compared to going with a higher F value and resulting greater DoF.

Photos below are of our high school varsity team in a regional playoff shot near sunset (stadium lights had just activated) at fixed ISO 1600 and F4.0 with the camera choosing 1/1250 and the second photo is of my daughter scoring the final goal in her game at F4.0, 1/500, set to auto ISO (200 in this case) with strong lighting from a rapidly setting sun.  In the second photo had I been setting ISO manually I would have chosen a considerably higher ISO than necessary to achieve a usable shutter speed.

Rodgersoccer 1.JPGSoccer 2.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I feel its not as sharp as exected."

The G2 is a really sharp lens.  It is probably the best right now.  But none of us can tell you anything substantial without an example photo(s)  with exif date included.

I can tell you how I use my Sigma S.  I use Av almost 100% of the time. Usually at f8.  ISO is usually 1600 or 3200 but it does vary at times.  I use AWB most of the time but it isn't important since I shoot Raw 99% of the time.  I like AI-servo and the OS is almost always on condition 1.

Show us some photos with exif data.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ansarsubhan
Apprentice

Update to the post.

End up sending the lens and camera to the Tamron.

Got them back in a week, it is awesome now. Its raining here , so unable to test a whole lot but with the little bit of testing the outcome was so vibrant and sharp.

Thanks you all for the reply.

Will update the photos shortly. 

Announcements