cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d Movie Recording stopped automatically. (i really need your help)

Vkapsalis
Apprentice

Hello guys, i'm a videographer and i'm using Canon 80d.
Before 1 week i was shooting a christening and at the most important scene, my DSLR Stopped recording automatically, i tried to record again and then it stuck.

I tried to turn it off but the monitor was still on. Then i pulled out the batteries from the Grip (The authentic one) cause i was in panic, and then i inserted them again.
The biggest problem is, that the clip (4 minutes and a little bit, DISSAPEARED). I tried all the possible solutions i could find and the footage is still missing. I shot more than 80 jobs at the past 2 years and everything was fine.
My cards are Sandisk PRO class-10 95mb/s.
What should i do? 

5 REPLIES 5

Ray-uk
Whiz

I woudn't expect the file to be on the card if you powered down before stopping the recording as it would not have finished writing to the card.

Using any still camera (including the 80D) for recording serious video can be prone to problems, it is alright in short bursts but with long periods of recording you come across the time limitation and possible sensor overheating problems.

If you are taking videos professionally then you need a proper video camera and not a still camera with a few limited video capabilites added on.

It stopped recording, then i started recording again and then it stuck. Then i pulled out the batteries.

Hi Vkapsalis,

Even though the camera stopped recording, it could have still been writing the file to the card when the camera froze and was powered off. In this situation the file would not have been finalized properly and potentially lost.

I recommend trying to run a data recovery software on the card to see if the file can be restored. I would contact the manufacturer of the memory card to see if they have a specific data recovery software for their cards.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello William, thanks for your answer! 
I tried data recovery softwares (Recuva, SanDisk SD card recovery) but could not locate the file.
If you have another recommendation, i'd love to give it a try.

And one more question. The camera is still on warranty. Should i go to the camera store and let them check the problem (overheating or whatever it is)?
Is it normal to overheat so quickly and at 4 min footage, while last year i recorded at least 100+ hours without having this even once ?

Announcements