cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D video mode heat shutdown?

mamakey
Contributor

I have the 60D and most recently have needed it to shoot video (recording live music for a client). The heat shutdown has been a real problem. I've been unable to give the unit a rest long enough to avoid it cutting out in the middle of a song. So, I'm looking to upgrade to the 80D but have been unable to find anything in discussions about whether the internal heat problem causes shutdowns with this model. Does anyone have any experience with this? It's a deal breaker for me so I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Almost all  DSLRs suffer from heat related issues, to varying extents, when recording video.  You may also encounter recording time issues with DSLRs, too.

You may wish to consider "professional camcorders", which also have their own set of limitations.  Or, you may wish to consider Canon's Cinema EOS professional video cameras, either with or without an external recording device.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your reply. I've looked a bit at the C100 and will look further. I was hoping to find a one-base solution, but I may be at a point where I should look at cameras designed to do the specific job. I hope to hear from other 80D users if they have a shutdown problem with theirs and at what time intervals (understanding that ambient temperature is also a factor). I think one of the problems I have is that you never know when it's going to happen. Of course, it's never at a convenient time! 🙂 Thanks again.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Never had that problem with my 6D or 7D, and I have video recorded in raw format with my 7D that seems to produce more heat than normal video recording. Heat and noise of course, but never that my camera has shut down. Are you video recording for a half hour?

Hi... Thank you for your reply. Typically, a set lasts 40 to 45 minutes. I try keeping an eye on things, but there's not enough of a break in between songs to really let things cool down on the 60D. Budget is prohibiting taking things to the next level so I'm trying to see if a step up to the 80D would cover both my still and video needs adequately enough. Again, thank you.

@mamakey wrote:

Hi... Thank you for your reply. Typically, a set lasts 40 to 45 minutes. I try keeping an eye on things, but there's not enough of a break in between songs to really let things cool down on the 60D. Budget is prohibiting taking things to the next level so I'm trying to see if a step up to the 80D would cover both my still and video needs adequately enough. Again, thank you.

You have a guy at Dpreview who has video recorded in 8h and 4 min with a 60D without overheating. Room temperature 24 degrees C and camera around 41 degrees C. But he turned off the camera to change memory card 40 times. Search for Video overheating prolbems solved in 60D.

One thing to do to get a cooler camera is to use an adapter instead of a battery, Canon ACK-E6 AC Adapter. Don´t know how much it will save your camera from heat but better than to have a warm battery inside the camera body.

Peter, thank you for the information. Will look into the battery pack idea.

@mamakey wrote:

I can relate to your desire to change your gear.  But, I just want to caution against changing to something that could be described as "stopgap", just enough to fill an immediate void or need.  In the long run, you're going to wind up spending the money on the gear that you know you really want, or need, anyway.

I know this advice doesn't solve your immediate problem.  I hope Peter's idea delivers.  Just don't spend a significant sum on a stopgap measure.

Thanks, Waddizzle. I think I may just borrow or rent gear until I can get my head (and bank account) whatever the right move turns out to be.

@mamakey wrote:
Thanks, Waddizzle. I think I may just borrow or rent gear until I can get my head (and bank account) whatever the right move turns out to be.

Okay, good luck.  Don't overlook the Canon professional camcorders, either.

Announcements