cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D sensor adjustment

beastbeef
Contributor

So this might be a stretch, but does anyone know the exact distance between the top of the three pegs and the sensor bracket of an 80D? I've astro moded the sensor and now it has a bit of sensor tilt. I marked the location of the screws before and counted the turns while unscrewing, but I guess it wasn't precise enough.  Thank you!

IMG_0073 (1).jpeg

9 REPLIES 9

Ray-uk
Whiz

I think you will find that the position will be different for every 80D because the sprung adjustment of the screws is there to compensate for tolerance differences in lens mounting and camera body etc

Looks like the only option you have now is trial and error ....... Good Luck  Smiley Sad

If you want to know what you should have done then do a google search for "Digital canon repair blog" and go to blog article dated 30th September 2018.

@Ray-UK,

I checked out the article...  Man Frustrated

It should also include best to send to Canon or Mid West Camera for repair.

I envy anyone who is brave enough to disassemble electrinics like this.  

I too, wish him luck.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

@Ray-UK,

I checked out the article...  Man Frustrated

It should also include best to send to Canon or Mid West Camera for repair.

I envy anyone who is brave enough to disassemble electrinics like this.  

I too, wish him luck.

If the sensor has been modified, I doubt Canon would want to touch it.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'll acquire some equipment and try it out... Thank you for the info.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've astro moded the sensor ..."

I don't have any idea but when I was active in the local astronomy club there were guys that did impossible, to me, things to their cameras.  Perhaps you have a local club. It is certainly likely to have a guy that knows how to do everything to a camera.

Probably why I never got the great photos they did! Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I assume this involved removing the existing lowpass/IR filter, was it replaced with another filter or a dummy piece?

As Ray stated, it is trial and error time.  Canon will have a test stand to quickly set up this set of parameters but I doubt if they will touch a modified camera.  But it shouldn't take too long to dial it in through trial and error IF you go slowly and precisely.

I have aligned a lot of precision electronic test gear and the "secret" is approaching the perfect set up incrementally.  If you make big changes with one adjustment, you will probably overshoot the correct setting and will find yourself trying to offset it with another adjustment and once you start this over-adjustment process you will be spending a lot of frustrating time chasing your tail before you get it right.  My father taught me precision oscilloscope calibration when I was quite young and one Tektronix model had 52 separate adjustments for each of its dual delay lines and the adjustments interact with each other.  I learned very quickly to be precise and take time or that would turn into a multiple hour tedious process and trying to get an image sensor precisely aligned could be an equally frustrating process.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

I assume this involved removing the existing lowpass/IR filter, was it replaced with another filter or a dummy piece?

As Ray stated, it is trial and error time.  Canon will have a test stand to quickly set up this set of parameters but I doubt if they will touch a modified camera.  But it shouldn't take too long to dial it in through trial and error IF you go slowly and precisely.

I have aligned a lot of precision electronic test gear and the "secret" is approaching the perfect set up incrementally.  If you make big changes with one adjustment, you will probably overshoot the correct setting and will find yourself trying to offset it with another adjustment and once you start this over-adjustment process you will be spending a lot of frustrating time chasing your tail before you get it right.  My father taught me precision oscilloscope calibration when I was quite young and one Tektronix model had 52 separate adjustments for each of its dual delay lines and the adjustments interact with each other.  I learned very quickly to be precise and take time or that would turn into a multiple hour tedious process and trying to get an image sensor precisely aligned could be an equally frustrating process.

Rodger

The universal translator says this, "Be meticulous!"

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I just removed the lP/IR filters. 

If you just removed the filters and left the sensor bare to achive full spectrum then you will need to move the sensor forward by about a third of the thickness of the original filter stack to achieve correct focus.

Announcements