cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D randomly switches itself to photo mode while recording video

AdamMartray
Apprentice

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and maybe has a solution.

My Canon 80D will randomly switch itself to photo mode while recording video, stopping my video recording, even though mode switch is set firmly to movie mode.

This happens intermttently, but seems to occur more frequenlty after using the camera a while, more so than when it's first pulled out of the bag for the day.

Most frequently this happens right when I push the record button, so it will record a one second video, then stop as it switches to photo mode.  I then have to switch back to video mode and start the recording again (and sometimes it will switch itself back to photo mode again).  Occasionally, video will record for up to about 30 seconds before switching itself to photo mode.  If I can get past about 30 seconds, then I seem to be in the clear and the video will record fine until I reach card limits.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Okay.  It switches to photo mode despite the switch still being set to video mode?  

What does photo mode look like?  Does it drop the mirror and turn off the rear LCD display?  Or, does it simply stop recording?  It almost sounds like the camera could be overheating.  Keep your eyes open for any flashing or blinking icons.  They are always a sign of a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As Waddizzle said:

Screenshot 2020-09-12 150346.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

No icons or warnings pop up indicating overheating.  Also, while the problem does tend to occur the more I use the camera, once it's recording video for 30 seconds or so it tends to be fine.  I've recently had it running for 20-30 minutes in the sun on a 95 degree day without overheating issues.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, it drops the mirror and turns off the LCD display.  I haven't seen any flashing or blinking icons indicating overheating.

Angelo_Stoik
Apprentice

I have the same problem with my 80d . What was the solution to your case Adam ?

Haven't found a solution.  At this point I'm pretty convinced that the internal mechanism that switches between photo/video modes is somehow loose, and so switches itself even if you don't flip the external switch.  Likely sending the camera in for Canon for repair would fix it if that is the issue, but I just haven't got around to doing that yet.

Announcements