cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D pictures a overexposed

Assaf
Contributor

i just cant get my head around it.

the pictures looks good on live view. the histogram looks fine when i take the picture its completly overexposed.
i have being told it might have something to do with the lens im using is very old (manual 50mm 1.8 olympus)
but this lens worked great with my old camera (600D)

is there any reason for why the camera is suddenly decided to give me a headache?Smiley Mad

31 REPLIES 31

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What mode are you in? Does it happen in manual mode?

indeed, i forgot to mention that i was shooting at manual

@Assaf wrote:

And your shutter speed and aperture settings matched what the meter in the viewfinder told you? Live view isn't a reliable indicator, because it tries to show you a properly exposed image, regardless of your settings. Most cameras have an option to have it instead show you what you're actually going to get, but that option isn't active by default.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

i was relying on the histogram not what the liveview is showing me.
witch shows a change. before taking the picture he pritty much, shows that the he is high on midtones and shadows but low on highlight. on the other hand its all highlight on the picture after being taken.

when it comes well as i said its a manual lens an old one.so apparture is also need to adjusted manually
but as i said it was never a problem with my previus camera. so i find it confusing.

@Assaf wrote:

I frequently use a manual lens in manual mode, with Auto ISO.  I always use the viewfinder to measure exposure, never Live View.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Assaf wrote:

I frequently use a manual lens in manual mode, with Auto ISO.  I always use the viewfinder to measure exposure, never Live View.  

why not relaiying on the histogram?

@Assaf wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Assaf wrote:

That would require going into Live View, which uses a different metering system than the viewfinder.  When I want to use the histogram, I take a test shot and view its’ histogram.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Assaf wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Assaf wrote:

That would require going into Live View, which uses a different metering system than the viewfinder.  When I want to use the histogram, I take a test shot and view its’ histogram.

Good points.  I hadn’t considered that.  

I do consider that “exposure simulation” in live-view is a simulation.   But if you take a shot and then inspect the histogram (esp. if you turn on the the “blinkies” (clipping)) then you should be able to work out if the shot was under or over-exposed and can hunt for a better exposure.   Especially if you use the RGB histograms instead of the single combined luminance histogram.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

All very interesting but how useful?  I can not remember the last time I had a severely overexposed or under exposed shot with a modern DSLR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements