cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D not focusing

Digionetwothree
Apprentice

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is able to help please. My 80D is only focusing on subjects within about 25 feet but even when it does the quality is grainy and noisy. When shooting wide and at a distance absolutely nothing is sharp.

Has this happened to anyone else?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lens are you using?  Does the lens have some sort of filter or macro filter attached to it?  Can you try a different lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've been using a 70-200 with no filter attached. I have tried it on a 70mm which obviously doesn't replicate the same distance but does have the same grain and noise.

Can you post a sample photo here with the EXIF data intact? There may be a clue there that explains the issues you're having.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... when it does the quality is grainy and noisy."

This is not a normal description of a lens not focusing.  Lenses are not typically grainy and noisy, cameras are.

This calls for a first step to reset the 80D to default settings. Do that first. It is in the menus and has more than one place to do so.

Next is to select P mode, ISO 200, auto WB. Set the lens, not the 70-200mm but a more normal lens like the 17-55mm, etc, to AF.  On a nice day take some shots of things that have good contrast and vertical lines. Like trees or a fence or buildings.

If the photos are OK so is the camera.  There isn't anything wrong.  Now try the same experiment with the 70-200mm.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements