cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D Touchscreen and HDMI out

slipperyduck
Apprentice

Hi,

I just recently purchased my canon 80D to add to my collection. HF-R40, G40 (and some other older non-video DSLR cameras).

The touchscreen is amazing, its is seriously the TOP feature followed by Dual-pixel autofocus etc etc etc.

But I'm stumped as to why the touchscreen switches off when you connect HDMI monitor/TV for reviewing for live-viewing.

I use my little 7" portable screen on my other "cheap" consumer video cameras, but to find it switches off my 80D touchscreen is a big mis-step.

for the life of me, I cannot find an option in the menus to address this, unless someone knows of something i need to switch on/off that leads to switching the option on somewhere....

Will this be fixed in an up-and-coming firmware update? I personally see this as must-have fix especially for video which i believe is the drive behind this camera.

12 REPLIES 12

Can you elaborate on this - do you have both field monitior and touch screen working at the same time? If so could ou mention what lead you are using

I have searched for this once before and had no luck. Terrible design flaw, the autofocus is the selling point and I solely rely on touching my screen for focus. Now that I have bad eyesight I HAVE to use a monitor, I only wanted to before. When I'm filming myself from my tripod, I cannot see the tiny screen, I have to attempt the video, rewatch and hope it was okay.

I was searching up monitors, looking at touchscreen options... I have asked in many places, but nobody has confirmed that a touchscreen monitor retains the 80D's original touchscreen features. I don't want to upgrade yet... But the switch to sony is starting to look better. I just don't want to drop all that money right now as I am about to order my first FPV freestyle quadcopter.

I guess I could take one for the team and order a touchscreen monitor and report back. Touchscreens that are decent, arent exactly cheap though. The actual cheaper price touch monitors are hot garbage, I tried 3 diff ones. I am beyond thrilled to see that your reply was just recently, because 80D stuff is all but dead at this point, everything online is old information. I made a username and signed up to make this comment. 

Lets figure this 💩 out!

Don't bother. The HDMI out does not support a touch screen.

Announcements