cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D Touchscreen and HDMI out

slipperyduck
Apprentice

Hi,

I just recently purchased my canon 80D to add to my collection. HF-R40, G40 (and some other older non-video DSLR cameras).

The touchscreen is amazing, its is seriously the TOP feature followed by Dual-pixel autofocus etc etc etc.

But I'm stumped as to why the touchscreen switches off when you connect HDMI monitor/TV for reviewing for live-viewing.

I use my little 7" portable screen on my other "cheap" consumer video cameras, but to find it switches off my 80D touchscreen is a big mis-step.

for the life of me, I cannot find an option in the menus to address this, unless someone knows of something i need to switch on/off that leads to switching the option on somewhere....

Will this be fixed in an up-and-coming firmware update? I personally see this as must-have fix especially for video which i believe is the drive behind this camera.

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I am guessing its a battery power saving feature.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In order to drive both the camera screen and generate an external signal would require two sets of video output circuitry, which increase the cost for a feature most users seldom need.  When you plug into the port, the signal to the screen is re-routed to the port.

[EDIT]  Oh, yeah.  I'm guessing, too.  Smiley Wink

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

redrum2nuf
Apprentice

did they ever fix this cuz this cuz it super sucks

@redrum2nufwrote:

did they ever fix this cuz this cuz it super sucks

There is nothing to fix.  Some cars have roof racks and some do not.  If one car does have a roof rack, or even have one available as an option, is that a design flaw?  No, it is design intent.

Maina
Apprentice

It's just bad. I've been wondering how they expect us to focus without monitoring it. The 5D has it.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“It's just bad. I've been wondering how they expect us to focus without monitoring it. The 5D has it.”

How? Easy. Many monitors have focus peaking.

[quote]

“It's just bad. I've been wondering how they expect us to focus without monitoring it. The 5D has it.”

How? Easy. Many monitors have focus peaking. [/quote]

Yes, but unless you have a manual focus lense you cannot selectively focus, the touchscreen turns off and since the 80d is touch to focus on the touch point, you can not focus when attaching an exernal monitor.

@slipperyduck wrote:

Yes, but unless you have a manual focus lense you cannot selectively focus, the touchscreen turns off and since the 80d is touch to focus on the touch point, you can not focus when attaching an exernal monitor.

If you want a manual focus lens, the set the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF.  If you want to know how to engage the autofocusing features, I suggest that you read the instruction manual..  I am too lazy to read it for you.  Sorry.

sxs9825
Contributor
Try using the other type of cable port that it has.
Works for me.

Announcements