cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D Movie Recording stopped automatically

TDSnaps
Apprentice

I have a Canon 80D which I've been using for some important video shoots for work. It has been fine for a while, then out of nowhere it started doing the 'movie recording has been stopped automatically' message. 

I know that slow SD cards are usually the culprit, but I'm using two different PNY 64GB Class 10 95mb/s cards. Both of them error on me. 

I have tried shooting in MOV and MP4, happens on both. Happens at 60FPS, 24FPS, and 30FPS.

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried doing a low level format on the memory cards?

How much recording time are you getting at each format?  There are documented limitations on recording times and file size.  Also, the sensor could be overheating.  There are icons that appear to warn you about overheating.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TDSnaps
Apprentice
The only icons that pop up is the white one on the right with the blocks which I believe are for the card.

I haven't done a low level format, I'll try that.

I was only recording short quick clips, nothing long at all, usually under a minute before the error.

@TDSnaps wrote:
The only icons that pop up is the white one on the right with the blocks which I believe are for the card.

I haven't done a low level format, I'll try that.

I was only recording short quick clips, nothing long at all, usually under a minute before the error.

I do not do a lot video, but my son does more than me.  He likes to create and then record video clips in their own folders.

It is highly recommended, mandatory in my nook, that new SD cards MUST be low level formatted in the camera that will use them prior to use.  While it may seem that cards are already formatted, fresh out of the package, they are, in fact, not.  The formatting that you see on a "new" memory card is actually residue from production testing, which needs to be erased in its' entirety.

I suggest that you download the instruction manual, if you have not already done so.  Familiarize yourself on the limitation on video recording, and what the overheating warning icons look like.  As long as nothing in the display is flashing, then you should be good to go, for shooting video.

haneyca
Apprentice

I am having the same problem with the 100D and from what I see online it is fairly common. Most people say use a memory card with a faster write speed but my card is 80 mb/s. I have tried both the regular reformat and the low level reformat and it still cuts off. Sometimes I get about 3 minutes before it cuts off but sometimes it is as short as 15 seconds. If it would consistently cut off after the same amount of time I could at least plan my recording around it (although this isn't a real solution).

If you find a better solution please post it here. I record a weekly Youtube show and it took more than an hour longer than it normally does to record, then even longer to edit because of this. 

@haneyca wrote:

I am having the same problem with the 100D and from what I see online it is fairly common. Most people say use a memory card with a faster write speed but my card is 80 mb/s. I have tried both the regular reformat and the low level reformat and it still cuts off. Sometimes I get about 3 minutes before it cuts off but sometimes it is as short as 15 seconds. If it would consistently cut off after the same amount of time I could at least plan my recording around it (although this isn't a real solution).

If you find a better solution please post it here. I record a weekly Youtube show and it took more than an hour longer than it normally does to record, then even longer to edit because of this. 

Try recording at a lower resolution.  If it doesn't shut off before you reach 30 minutes, or 2 GB file size, then that should be a strong indicator that your memory card is not up to the task.  But, beware that there are cards that are over-specified for what the camera needs, and these can fail in the camera, too.

SandyKH
Apprentice

Same issue here.  VERY frustrating.  I get no message, no warning. It just shuts off.

@SandyKHwrote:

Same issue here.  VERY frustrating.  I get no message, no warning. It just shuts off.

You do not get a message.  You should get warning icons, instead.  I have never seen it active, but I would expect it to blink, on and off, to get your attention.

And be very careful with where you buy your cards because there are a lot of counterfeit cards out there.  I won't order them from Amazon anymore after I got a couple of fake SanDisk class 10 SD cards from them a couple of years ago.  One of the latest scams is vendors selling Cfast cards that have the right pinout/size to fit and they do work but they are slower than the better CF cards so they won't work like a true Cfast card.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

There was a recent post by Blobman (4-2-18 60D - "video recording has stopped automatically" - IT IS NOT THE SD CARD) on this same subject. He seems to have solved the problem by disabling sound.
Announcements