cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D Manual Mode

atdwest
Apprentice

I apologize if this subject was already covered.

I recently upgraded from a Canon T2i to an 80D. The T2i allowed me to use autofocus even in the manual modes. I have been unable to figure out the 80D and if it will allow for autofocus to occur while in Manual, TV, AV, or P modes. 

Is there a way to set the camera to where I can autofocus while using Manual Mode?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I solved the problem. In the C.Fn III: Operations / Others Custom Controls the Shutter Button half-press was set to metering start so I switched it to metering and AF start.

Thanks for the replies nonetheless.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

As far as I know it should AF unless you turn the switch on the lens to OFF or MF depending on how it's labeled.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Autofocus has nothing to do with the exposure mode.

That's what I thought as well, but I have a EFS 18-135mmIS lens attached to my 80D camera now and the lens is set to AF and when my camera is in Manual mode, Tv, Av, and P it does not autofocus. I have to manually focus my lens to get the subject in focus. My lens autofocuses just fine when it is set in the other modes, C1, C2, Auto, etc...

I'm hoping it's a setting in the camera that I am unaware of, but I am not certain.

I solved the problem. In the C.Fn III: Operations / Others Custom Controls the Shutter Button half-press was set to metering start so I switched it to metering and AF start.

That wouldn't have been the factory defaults so I'm guessing you changed it (or someone did).    It's a good idea to read through the manual to at least be aware of the features -- even if you don't want to use them yet.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@atdwest wrote:

What tripped you up is the customary setting if you're using back-button focus, because you don't want the shutter button to override a focus setting obtained via the back button.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

BudMan523
Apprentice

Thanks for the info.  I had the same issue with no Auto Focus in manual modes, and global reset did not restore the Auto Focus to them.  Following the above instructions corrected the issue.  Thank You.

Announcements